Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
IMG_0078.jpgView attachment 15963Hello. My name is Patti. I am taking care of my daughter's Russian Tortoise until she moves back here to California. She lives in the State of Washington where it has been really cold and snowy!! She aquired her Russian Tortoise from a friend about a year ago. His name is "Bear". She kept him indoors, but her house was very cold! She never had a UVB light or heat lamp for him! Although it's only been a few days of having him; I've set him up with the basic needs with a UVB and heat light, he stills seems in a sluggish state! He eats a variety of greens in the morning and basks under the lights the rest of the time! He peed clear the first day, and pooped dark brown today! His eyes are dark when opened; when closed, his eyelids seem greyish in color. He is not very active, kinda in a semi-hibernated state. He's been cold for so long with the lights, I'm wondering if it may take a while longer before he adapts to the better conditions that he has now? He this normal for him not to be very active during January? Any input from you experts out there will be helpful. Thanks! :tort:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patti:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Where 'bouts in California are you?

The white around the eyes tells you that the tortoise is being kept too dry. I'm not a fan of those dual fixture lights. I've never had one, though, so you can take my opinion with a big handful of salt! :p How warm is the habitat? Once they get their inner core warmed up, they should do fine, and that shouldn't take more than a day.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for the hearty "Welcomes!" And a special thanks to emysemys for answering my question. In response to his question, I live about 50 miles east of San Francisco, CA!
It's my first time taking care of a Russian Tortoise, so I may need help from time to time. I also take care of my other daughter's hermits crabs, "Houdini" and "Oscar" and have a 10 year old Black Lab named Sadie. I'm married, retired, and an avid Beatles fan! :cool:
This seems like a friendly, informative forum! A Hearty "Hello" to you all! :)

jkingler

5 Year Member
Welcome. Kudos for taking proper care of the Rusky. :) Hopefully your daughter will do the same when she gets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.