Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

slsauer1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I'm totally new at this kind of thing so hopefully I'll figure it out. I have a Sulcata tort named Tiny, who is supposedly about 14-15 months old. I have had him for 10 months and just love it! Tiny's shell began pyramiding right after I got him even though I was weaning him off of strictly lettuces onto grasses, dandelions, plantains, etc, which makes me wonder if he isn't actually older than I was told he is or if his earlier diet was just horrendous. Now I am in a sticky spot as I live in a cold winter climate so he must stay indoors in his flat but I don't have access at this time of year to the grasses and weedy diet he had throughout the summer months and am trying to find a place that sales seed blend for torts that I can grow for him. Any help would be appreciated. And I lood forward to all the info I can glean on the tort forum!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome.. what are you plans for when he gets bigger? He has to be outside.. and he will need real sunshine..
For now, his diet.. Go to the Gorcery store and get Spring mix and other Dark leafy greens.
If you are lucky, you can get him used to eating grass hay when he get older, so you wont go broke buying food for him.
What kind of set up do you have him in now? Heat? Light? Humidity?? READ the sulcata section. .and then Read some more and ask questions. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Pyramiding is not caused or prevented by diet. Its a complicated thing but its primarily about hydration and humidity. Here's a care sheet to follow. This will give you your best chance of stopping the progression and keeping the new growth smoother.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Here are a couple of other LOOOONG threads with the latest discussion on the matter. The info evolves as you move through the thread, so the most current info is actually toward the ends, but a lot of the explanation is early on.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello welcome to the TFO:) you can get some grazing seed mix from Carolina pet supply. Are you in the UK ?

slsauer1

5 Year Member
USA
Thank you for your comments! =) I currently have him in a rubbermaid container (the kind that can slide under a bed) w/ fine peat moss as "bedding", 50W basking lamp, 140W UV lamp. I keep the "bedding" around his cubby hole moist and soak him daily. I also keep a small dish of water in his flat which he drinks from, I'm not sure if that's normal. I feed him once a day as well. As for when he gets bigger we have plans of building a goodsized heated green house to accomodate him and my gardening hobby.

coreyc said:
Hello welcome to the TFO:) you can get some grazing seed mix from Carolina pet supply. Are you in the UK ?

I am in the States, Wyoming to be exact.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO :D I grow alot of my own grasses inside, the only thing is you have to keep rotating and planting new ones before the other ones are used up.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
slsauer1 said:
Thank you for your comments! =) I currently have him in a rubbermaid container (the kind that can slide under a bed) w/ fine peat moss as "bedding", 50W basking lamp, 140W UV lamp. I keep the "bedding" around his cubby hole moist and soak him daily. I also keep a small dish of water in his flat which he drinks from, I'm not sure if that's normal. I feed him once a day as well. As for when he gets bigger we have plans of building a goodsized heated green house to accomodate him and my gardening hobby.

coreyc said:

You used the term on his flat:D I thought you were in the UK do you have some pic's you can post?

slsauer1

5 Year Member
USA
coreyc said:
slsauer1 said:

coreyc said:

You used the term on his flat:D I thought you were in the UK do you have some pic's you can post?

Oh sorry about that. lol I don't have pics yet but will try to get some posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi slsauer1 :

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job taking care of your little sulcata. Can't wait to see pictures.

slsauer1

5 Year Member
USA
emysemys said:
Hi slsauer1 :

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job taking care of your little sulcata. Can't wait to see pictures.

Name's Sabrina and I HOPE I'm doing a good job w/ him. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.