hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkygoc

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Jen. I am a Licensed Vet tech. I have a great interest in tortoises and i am going to be getting a red foot tortoise. I cant wait to have this pet in my family. I have 1 cat named gray, and three dogs named chewie chooper and Leo. i have three rats named remy dragoon and hellwan. Also a fish tank full of fish. Oh yeah and a wonderful husband...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jen:

Welcome to the forum!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI Jen, welcome ! You'll get so much info here and the best news yet is you said your going to be getting!!! So your doing your research first! Kudos!
Do you have one in mind?
Nay

sparkygoc

5 Year Member
yes I have been looking around and I think I want to get a juvenile red foot. i have done research, but does anyone have any pointers they can give me? i found young red foots at petsmart for $69 on sale this week, they appear to be in good health, but does anyone have any experience with them?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum and congrats on entering the tort world!

I would be wary to buy from Petsmart unless they have proof the tort is captive bred (don't take their word on it...they and Petco are notorious for lying, such as saying the tort is a year old). Likely the redfoots are farmed and then imported, which is a bit better than wild caught, but not as good as captive bred. I just want to give you some information so you can make an informed decision, as personally, I am very strongly against wild caught torts. Best bet is to be patient and find a breeder with some yearlings, or find a rehomed tort. You don't want to start out in torts with a fragile hatchling, nor support the wild caught tort trade. The farmed and wild caught torts have a high likelihood to be infested with parasites, and stressed, which makes them prone to illness such as respiratory infection. Saving $100 on the purchase price but having hundreds in vet bills doesn't make since (I recommend a vet check up with fecal test for parasites regardless of the tort's background though, as even the captive bred tort can have parasites as they are normal, its the high levels we want to treat though). Take your time with the research and have your setup before you get the tort. Here's some great info: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Raising-REDFOOT-Hatchling-to-Adults-Do-s-Don-t-s Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.