Hello

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I had been doing some research on tortoises when I stumbled on this forum. I loved the way everyone got along and posted great information that I just had to join. I live in central Texas and I have been thinking about getting a tortoise for awhile now. I don't own any dogs and have a lonely backyard. I have narrowed it down to either a leopard or a sulcata tortoise for two reasons. First is I've always wanted a good sized tortoise ever since I was a little kid. Second reason is this Texas heat. I know these two species do good (provided shelter of course) in this kind of weather. My backyard measures 20×37 feet. Which is where some of my reluctance in purchasing one comes from. These is where I need some feed back from you guys. I've had experience with desert tortoises before when I was growing up so I know how majestic these animals can be. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad you joined our great forum. Either species would do well there. If you do leopards, you could get a group and have a better chance of them getting along, specially if you get older sexed ones. Otherwise one Sulcatas would do fine. I don't have a Sulcatas, but many do say they are dog like and with only having one, it should become very personable.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, there, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Either one is possible, it just depends on your preference.
There are differing personalities within the two species.

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
So glad you joined our great forum. Either species would do well there. If you do leopards, you could get a group and have a better chance of them getting along, specially if you get older sexed ones. Otherwise one Sulcatas would do fine. I don't have a Sulcatas, but many do say they are dog like and with only having one, it should become very personable.
Thank you for the welcome. My heart is with a sulcata because of their great personality. But I also like the leopard because of their beautiful shell. There is a reptile expo coming in the next two months so I will have to make up my mind soon. .lol.

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Hello, there, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Either one is possible, it just depends on your preference.
There are differing personalities within the two species.
Thank you. I was just a little confused since I read somewhere that sulcatas needed half an acre at least to survive. Thanks for the info

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. I was just a little confused since I read somewhere that sulcatas needed half an acre at least to survive. Thanks for the info
Bigger is always better, but most people that have Sulcatas don't have that kind of land dedicated to a Sulcatas. My leopards have a very big L shaped outdoor area and they actually only use the area along the fence line and their shed end. I am planting trees and plants for more shelter within the middle area, but still waiting for them to get more mature to actually provide coverage for them.

Also, what you may not know, their are two types of leopards. The South African get bigger then the Babcocki and some say the SA is more personable then the Babs, but with my one Bab that I raised from a couple months old, well he is very friendly. Lots of hands on and attention from me, helped.

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Bigger is always better, but most people that have Sulcatas don't have that kind of land dedicated to a Sulcatas. My leopards have a very big L shaped outdoor area and they actually only use the area along the fence line and their shed end. I am planting trees and plants for more shelter within the middle area, but still waiting for them to get more mature to actually provide coverage for them.

Also, what you may not know, their are two types of leopards. The South African get bigger then the Babcocki and some say the SA is more personable then the Babs, but with my one Bab that I raised from a couple months old, well he is very friendly. Lots of hands on and attention from me, helped.
Oh wow I did not know that about leopards. Where could someone find an SA leopard for purchase?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow I did not know that about leopards. Where could someone find an SA leopard for purchase?
We have some members that breed them. They always will say SA and they cost more then a Babcocki. Fauna classifieds usually have some too. Just ask about anyone you may purchase from, to see if there are any bad reports. There are some scammers out there that will take your money and send nothing or not send a good healthy animal.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
Just a thought. I have been to expos and they can be very fun. It's great to see the variety of animals. However , when you purchase a tort from there , you often really know nothing of how it was started or the breeder. And if you get a very young one it makes a difference.

Here on the forum are many quality breeders who know how to get a baby tort off to a great start. You can see their posts, check out the feedback and have confidence in their care.

Another thing to consider if you are relatively new to tortoises - a juvenile will already be over the delicate baby stage. A 1-3 yo sulcata ( or leopard) raised right and with a smooth shell will cost a bit more , but be well worth it.

Good fortune to you

Good fortune

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Do you like the adult leopard's shell or the youngster one?