Hello Tortoise People!

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi! :)
My name is Mary, and I'm just getting started in the love of tortoises. I've had a love for all animals that has been lifelong through, and that in combination for a great upbringing on how to research an animal before purchasing that animal as a pet have given me success as a pet owner. Most of my pets have lived into the upper range of their life expectancy and I take great pride in always doing what is best for that creature. So if any of you can provide guidance when I'm in need and help me to take the best care of my new friend, I will be eternally grateful.
:tort:
My tortoise's name is Trouble because he has a rather cantankerous personality. He's constantly trying to climb out of his enclosure, hisses and huffs when confronted with something below his approval, and is generally found putzing around in his habitat. That's fine by me though, as many if the same things could be said about me. You'll find his gift picture after I brought him home as my profile picture. He's generally very sweet, despite the occasional huff of disappointment, and while he's still rather shy, he's started to connect me with the good food I bring him and the soft blanket he loves to rub his face and his feet into. So cute! :oops:

Anyway, feel free to say hello and if you have any starting out advice for a new comer, I'd love to learn more!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Take a look in the Russian section and the care sheets there. After reading through that, if you have any questions, let us know. Also a picture of your enclosure will help us to help you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and glad to have you here! :tort: Read and feel free to ask lots of questions. Keep in mind there are many different ways to care for a tortoise and no one "right" way. With a little time, you will find all the pieces that come together to make the right way for you, your tortoise and your environment.

Just so happy you have joined us. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread, as well as the different care sheets. And..please post pics of TROUBLE and his enclosure asap.:)

(Love the name but I hope he's not planning to give us trouble)!;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mary! One thing that causes a Russian tortoise to try to escape all the time is if he's being kept in a habitat that's too small. Russian tortoises are great wanderers - it's hardwired into them to roam. So give him the biggest container you can, and be thinking of making him an outdoor habitat when the weather warms up.

Colorado
Welcome to the Forum, Mary! One thing that causes a Russian tortoise to try to escape all the time is if he's being kept in a habitat that's too small. Russian tortoises are great wanderers - it's hardwired into them to roam. So give him the biggest container you can, and be thinking of making him an outdoor habitat when the weather warms up.
Thanks! I let him wander around the floor every day, his favorite thing is my heated blanket. Or really any blanket, he loves putting his face and feet on them. He just tried to eat one! And he has the biggest enclosure I could find which is fifty gallons and pretty spacy. I did post a few pictures of him in my new album, but I don't know how to put one in a message yet. Once I do I'll show you his enclosure,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Mary and welcome to you and trouble
The red light isn't really suitable for torts as they can see colour and the red confuses them. I can't see the other bulb but hopefully it's not any sort of coil or loopy type.
This is a link to a caresheet that will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc. to keep your tort happy and healthy.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
You'll find lots of great tips on the forums for safe and correct care
I also found the Beginners Mistakes thread useful and the Enclosures thread is full of good ideas.
Be careful of letting him wander they will eat anything and there have been some sad stories here about torts who have swallowed socks, pins, dust bunnies or plastic etc. Some have been Ok with expensive vet treatment but others not so lucky.
You have already seen how he tried to eat your blanket and they have sharp beaks so a chunk could easily choke him if it gets stuck in his throat of he could electrocute himself if he bites through wires - so better safe than sorry.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Trouble looks a but dry - do you give him warm soaks?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Can you get a better photo of his face? Is he having difficulty opening his eyes? I agree that he looks a bit dry.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum!!