Hello Tortoise People...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Carnivorous adult tortoises will eat their own eggs if they find them on the ground. Other creatures, too. Good you picked them up.

JaymeR

Here are all the eggs, now where to store this box so its a good temperature?

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

MNM

Welcome Jayme! I'm new here and I love it! I'm one hundred percent sure that you will too. Everyone is always so kind, and they know the answers to just about anything related to tortoises. Have fun! ;) :p By the way, your tortoises are absolutely adorable and I hope you end up with six baby tortoises soon! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Go to the hardware store or a garden center and buy some vermiculite and a plastic shoe box. Mix the vermiculite with water in a 1 : 1 ratio by weight not volume, so 300 grams of vermiculite and 300 grams of water for example. Make 6 little depressions and put each egg in a depression, buried about half to two thirds. Put the lid on the shoe box and put is somewhere cool and dark, like a closet shelf.

Go to a local feed store or on-line and buy a Hovabator or Little Giant still air incubator for around $50-60. I prefer the Hovabators because they are a little taller inside and fit more types of plastic shoe boxes. If you get a Little Giant, you may end up looking for a shorter shoe box. Put the water in the floor channels and set the temp. Give it a day or two to stabilize and make sure the temp is holding steady around 86-88 degrees. When its steady and holding a good temp for a few days, put the shoe box with the eggs in it. After about 3 months start checking for babies. Only add water during incubation if needed. I check about once a week or so. You will likely need to refill the water channels at the bottom of the incubator several times throughout incubation. Its really simple. Just pour some water in there. When the first egg pips, add a little water to the corners and sides of the shoe box, but not directly on the eggs. This added moisture will help them hatch. If you get this far and they begin to pip, come back and I will tell you how to start the babies so that they all live and thrive. The info at the CTTC and all over the internet is wrong and your babies will likely die of dehydration if you follow it.

Next item: The dog. You are dead wrong about this and you will learn this lesson the hard way if you keep taking the chances you are taking. It happens all the time and every person says the same things you are saying, PRIOR to the mauling. Dogs and tortoise need separate areas. Dogs should NEVER be left unsupervised with tortoises, not for one single second. Please don't think that you are your dog are somehow different from all the other dogs and owners in the world. You aren't and one day your dog will demonstrate this for you, again, at your tortoises expense. Just don't risk it.

JaymeR

Thank you for al
Go to the hardware store or a garden center and buy some vermiculite and a plastic shoe box. Mix the vermiculite with water in a 1 : 1 ratio by weight not volume, so 300 grams of vermiculite and 300 grams of water for example. Make 6 little depressions and put each egg in a depression, buried about half to two thirds. Put the lid on the shoe box and put is somewhere cool and dark, like a closet shelf.

Go to a local feed store or on-line and buy a Hovabator or Little Giant still air incubator for around $50-60. I prefer the Hovabators because they are a little taller inside and fit more types of plastic shoe boxes. If you get a Little Giant, you may end up looking for a shorter shoe box. Put the water in the floor channels and set the temp. Give it a day or two to stabilize and make sure the temp is holding steady around 86-88 degrees. When its steady and holding a good temp for a few days, put the shoe box with the eggs in it. After about 3 months start checking for babies. Only add water during incubation if needed. I check about once a week or so. You will likely need to refill the water channels at the bottom of the incubator several times throughout incubation. Its really simple. Just pour some water in there. When the first egg pips, add a little water to the corners and sides of the shoe box, but not directly on the eggs. This added moisture will help them hatch. If you get this far and they begin to pip, come back and I will tell you how to start the babies so that they all live and thrive. The info at the CTTC and all over the internet is wrong and your babies will likely die of dehydration if you follow it.

Next item: The dog. You are dead wrong about this and you will learn this lesson the hard way if you keep taking the chances you are taking. It happens all the time and every person says the same things you are saying, PRIOR to the mauling. Dogs and tortoise need separate areas. Dogs should NEVER be left unsupervised with tortoises, not for one single second. Please don't think that you are your dog are somehow different from all the other dogs and owners in the world. You aren't and one day your dog will demonstrate this for you, again, at your tortoises expense. Just don't risk it.
Thank you for all that info, I really appreciate it. However, I am unable to buy the stuff you mentioned. Money is just to tight right now, I was hoping for a solution that wouldnt have me buying an incubator. Thank you for the info on the dog, I read through the forum and will be more careful.