Hello to all my fellow tortoise enthusiasts!

MichaelB

5 Year Member
My name is Michael and I’m from South Africa. I have been an avid herper for about 18 years keeping mainly snakes and a few lizard species. I occasionally would keep the odd G. pardalis while it was between homes. Recently I decided it was time to give these fascinating herps a try and I acquired some lovely Angulated tortoises C. angulate. I have a group of 14 adults currently and a couple of eggs in the incubator, so in a couple of months’ time a few babies hopefully. I have really enjoyed reading through your forums and there is so much good information here! I will definitely get a few pictures uploaded soon of my tortoises and their enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Michael and welcome! We are going to love seeing those tortoises. Not too common in the USA to be having or even seeing them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Michael!

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hi Michael, Welcome to TFO :) we'd definitely love to see those rare tortoise.... pics please :)

MichaelB

5 Year Member
Thanks all, I promise I will post a few pictures soon. They are lovely little tortoises.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's great to read about all the forum members that take on caring for turtles/tortoise. Welcome, glad you found us.

MichaelB

5 Year Member
There are a few pictures I have on my phone I hope they come out Ok. I'm trying to stick to natural diets but I do give extra food, with a little calcium powder and a multivitamin powder. These little guys love their food and the plants in their enclosure show it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D My laptop is very very slow at loading pictures, so as I was waiting for your pictures to fully show, I watched the first one slowly show the picture from the top heading downward. I was looking at the leaves and thinking to myself, "That looks like a pansey". You have pansies in S.A. I never knew that. :D Looked like a Christmas cactus in another one, maybe some garzia (that's not quite right, but my mind is blanking). Any how, would you be nice enough to tell us what all the plants are?

MichaelB

5 Year Member
Yes there are / were pansys and Gazanias, they love those. I have a few succulents, some spekboom and one or two grasses. I also feed plantian (not sure on spelling) and dandelions. I used zucchini and carrots for veg, but not too often. I believe too much sugar is very bad for them.

IMG_00000545.jpgIMG_00000778.jpgIMG_00000547.jpgIMG_00000814.jpg

A few more pictures, you can see their enclosure, North facing to stay nice and hot. They like to be dry and warm. They love hibiscus and the other flowers in the pictures, I think you call them ice plants?

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Beautiful torts. And nice tort yard.
Welcome!

MichaelB

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! One of my females laid another egg today, so I'm pretty happy. Because they are a fairly small species they lay one egg at a time and a few over a season. I'm digging up the eggs and incubating them, so I'm hoping for a couple babies. I have never incubated tortoise eggs, so any suggestions are very welcome.