Hello, new tortoise owner

aundreagwen

Hi! My name is Aundrea and two days ago I acquired a 5 year old and an 8 year old russian tortoises. I have had a lifelong love of turtles and tortoises and when I saw them on my local pet buy and sell I had to have them. I have done a lot of reading over the past couple of days trying to learn as much as I can. They are both males and have lived together for their whole lives. Is aggression between them something that can develop? They came with a 2x4 enclosure but because there are two I want them to have a larger home. My husband and I built them a 6x3 habitat. Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr's new home

20151013_153359.jpg 20151013_153639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
The aggression could be in a form you never witness. Such as mental bullying. One will get bigger because he takes the best food and spots in the enclosure. One would be less active and stay smaller.
Just a couple things to point out- 1) get a bigger water dish, something they can fit into to. A terra cotta plant saucer works great & they are cheap.
2) the UV light is not effective at that angle. They need to point straight down to get the correct rays they need. Good looking torts and enclosure btw!

aundreagwen

Thanks for the tips! We are going to add a cross beam today to clamp the lights onto and we are adding a ceramic heating coil. We live in Northeastern British Columbia so it gets damn cold. I am currently using a terra cotta saucer as their food dish, I will switch it out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Aundrea!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. You did a nice job on the enclosure. With the above tweaks it will be great. That is a nice size for 1 Russian tortoise. I would definitely plan now to separate them before one is injured or sick. Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

aundreagwen

Aw that makes me sad, however we want to ensure they lead the best life possible. I appreciate the honesty. I have a friend who is very jealous that I got them lol, I will see if she would like to take one. If not we can look at splitting the habitat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Aundrea, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum tot you and your two lovely Russians.
Sadly, I agree that they will be better off alone.
And Russians need a lot of space, in the wild they roam over huge territories.
Unless you can manage two enclosures of that size, you may be better offering one to your friend. :(
Also those lamp clamps are hazardous.
They have a tendency to fail leading to serious fires and damage to tortoises and property.
Fixing them solidly to your beam is safer.
Thanks for listening to the advice and coming here to do the best for your super little torts.
I love Russians!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome they are lovely torts and a great enclosure,
(a plexiglass top will help keep heat and humidity in, and some bushy plants such as spider plants will give them something to hide under and feel safe. - see the Enclosures thread for ideas and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants)
Don't know if you plan to do the same, but I use my CHE on a thermostat so that the temps don't get too hot or cold.
Good luck to you and your new torts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! !

Good to have you here. Welcome.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I spoke with my friend and she is more than thrilled to take one of them. She is going to build him a new enclosure too. :)
Splendid!!!!:)
You, your friend, the two Russians, everyone happy!
And don't forget to tell your friend about Tortoise Forum!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Boston Terriers? Jeeps? Tortoises? If you throw Motorcycles in there, I would be looking in a mirror.... haha

Welcome and congrats. Very happy everything worked out & great job on the envcosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I love the idea of a plexiglass top!
Just make sure you cut holes big enough for the heat uvb, etc from the lamps to get through.
the plexiglass will really restrict uvb getting through otherwise.