Hello! New Russian Tortoise Here!

Jummy_00

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello, my names Jimmy. I’m from southern Wisconsin area. I’m new to this forum. I just recently adopted a Russian tortoise. No clue it’s age but it seemed to of been neglected to an extent. Not severe but not okay either.

Her name is Penny!

I recently made her a makeshift tortoise table out of a bookshelf I had. She came to me in a small glass tank.

506E13FE-0736-4646-A85D-BC10EDC51A94.jpeg7B028FFF-C329-4D51-A5A2-CF47E75F62B7.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

You have certainly improved her life with her new enclosure! She can actually walk around now. While she's in this one, you can start planning for her next one. Russians, actually all torts, need large spaces to walk so they can digest their food. And since Penny will have to live indoors for months because of your climate, it's especially important for her enclosure to be roomy. The minimum space is 8ft x 4ft, and bigger is better.

I'm a bit concerned about the lights you are using. What kind of bulbs are in those domes?

Have you measured the temps in there at tortoise height? What is the lowest nighttime temp? Russians usually don't require night heat, but it might be getting pretty cold especially since the enclosure is on the floor.

I don't see her water dish...maybe it's just out of view at that camera angle?

This is a good, up-to-date care sheet for Penny. Please read it carefully and make changes as necessary. I've also included some info on heating/lighting.

Come back with questions or concerns...we can help you with links to products if you need to buy anything.

And Penny is beautiful...such a nice smooth shell!

4 elements of heating: By Tom
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Jummy_00

Wisconsin
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

You have certainly improved her life with her new enclosure! She can actually walk around now. While she's in this one, you can start planning for her next one. Russians, actually all torts, need large spaces to walk so they can digest their food. And since Penny will have to live indoors for months because of your climate, it's especially important for her enclosure to be roomy. The minimum space is 8ft x 4ft, and bigger is better.

I'm a bit concerned about the lights you are using. What kind of bulbs are in those domes?

Have you measured the temps in there at tortoise height? What is the lowest nighttime temp? Russians usually don't require night heat, but it might be getting pretty cold especially since the enclosure is on the floor.

I don't see her water dish...maybe it's just out of view at that camera angle?

This is a good, up-to-date care sheet for Penny. Please read it carefully and make changes as necessary. I've also included some info on heating/lighting.

Come back with questions or concerns...we can help you with links to products if you need to buy anything.

And Penny is beautiful...such a nice smooth shell!

4 elements of heating: By Tom
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

I have measured the temps. It’s basking is 96* and night time temps are 68*.

I have to still get new bulbs I think because I’m using a 75w zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp and a reptisun uvb 5.0 compact bulb. Are those ok?? I’m worried now!!

yes she has a water dish. It was just out of view with the angle

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Compact UVB bulbs are not recommended for tortoises because they can cause eye problems.

You will need a fluorescent tube type fitting to replace it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The UVB light referred to by JoesMum is this. There are other brands. This is the one I, and several other members, use.

https://reptilighting.com/products/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-includes-hood

You would probably want the 12% desert strength. You'll need to find a way to hang it over your enclosure so it aims straight down. Also, note the last paragraph in my post # 2, 'UV'. In the summer you don't need indoor UV if you can get Penny outside a couple times a week. Your winters are quite long, so you only need to use the UV light for a couple months during the deep freeze. :D

The basking light should also be replaced, because spot lights tend to dessicate the carapace. The best bulb to use is an old style incandescent flood bulb. You do not want LED, or 'energy saving', or 'replacement'. It has to say 'incandescent', 'flood'..not spot. Try a 65 watt. If it's not just right on the temp, raise or lower it accordingly.

Jummy_00

Wisconsin
The UVB light referred to by JoesMum is this. There are other brands. This is the one I, and several other members, use.

https://reptilighting.com/products/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-includes-hood

You would probably want the 12% desert strength. You'll need to find a way to hang it over your enclosure so it aims straight down. Also, note the last paragraph in my post # 2, 'UV'. In the summer you don't need indoor UV if you can get Penny outside a couple times a week. Your winters are quite long, so you only need to use the UV light for a couple months during the deep freeze. :D

The basking light should also be replaced, because spot lights tend to dessicate the carapace. The best bulb to use is an old style incandescent flood bulb. You do not want LED, or 'energy saving', or 'replacement'. It has to say 'incandescent', 'flood'..not spot. Try a 65 watt. If it's not just right on the temp, raise or lower it accordingly.

Thank you so much for ur help!!! And to JoesMum too!!

I will be making replacements ASAP!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to You and Penny. You have got some great advice! You are on the right forum for up to date information.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Nice tort! Out of curiosity, where did you get her from?
Supplies you might need:
Cuttlebone (you can find it in the bird/ reptile section for cheap)
Flat basking rocks- she can warm up and her nails will trim down
you could get dome dried sphagnum moss- dampen it and she has a moist hide
careful about fake plants- she might want to eat it
I recommend a mercury vapor uva/uvb bulb. They're a bit pricey, but overall it will cost you less, since you only need one light once a year (unless it gets cold at night- then you might need a ceramic heat emitter)
I hope this could provide some info and don't get scared at this price- you can buy most things like these for $100 and it will last a long time. Let us know if you need help.

Jummy_00

Wisconsin
Nice tort! Out of curiosity, where did you get her from?
Supplies you might need:
Cuttlebone (you can find it in the bird/ reptile section for cheap)
Flat basking rocks- she can warm up and her nails will trim down
you could get dome dried sphagnum moss- dampen it and she has a moist hide
careful about fake plants- she might want to eat it
I recommend a mercury vapor uva/uvb bulb. They're a bit pricey, but overall it will cost you less, since you only need one light once a year (unless it gets cold at night- then you might need a ceramic heat emitter)
I hope this could provide some info and don't get scared at this price- you can buy most things like these for $100 and it will last a long time. Let us know if you need help.

I will have to wait a week or so for money. Truth be told I got her from my brother. He moved and he said I could have her. I was delighted to. Sad to say he didn’t treat her very well either because he was uninformed or didn’t know what he was getting into.

a little bit about me, I have really bad ocd andpanic disorder so I do not really work much and still.... sadly rely on my parents. I do chores and sometimes find small jobs. But mental illness isn’t great.

but so far I have been trying to get the things that are good for her. It just might take a short time. I hope you all can understand.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Good luck, and very pretty tortoise. Welcome