Hello...new here with questions...

smartypants

Hi all. Nice to meet you!

I am new to posting. NOT new to the forums.

About a year and 4 months ago my son found a baby sulcate casually scooting down the middle of our neighborhood street. Of course he brought the little guy home. After some research, we realized he was not a native species!

We have been caring for him, but probably not as well as we should have; not because we don't want to or can't, but because there's so much to learn! He does have some pyramiding, but he seems healthy otherwise. He eats, drinks, poops and moves around his enclosure. He has a small night time enclosure and we keep him outside during the day when it's warm enough. Since we live in Texas, it's nice outside most of the time except for a few months during the winter.

My husband is building him a winter only (and night time) enclosure. It is about 6 feet by 4 feet. It will be mostly enclosed to help with temps and humidity.

Is a humidity level of 65% decent for little Thortoise? We have no idea how old he, but I'm assuming he does not need the hatchling humidity levels. His shell is about 4 inches wide and 6 1/2 inches long. He was very tiny when we found him...his shell was about the size of my palm, maybe even smaller...I can't remember. He has grown a lot. We do not know what kind of conditions he was kept in before.

We are installing 2 che's on each half of the enclosure with temperature regulators. I have a 65W flood light and a uva/uvb light for him as well. Of course we have all the other necessities...water dish, hide, plants, good absorbent soil. We will keep his temps at 80-ish.

I would post pictures of what we've been doing, but my phone pics won't load. Once I can remedy that, I will post pics of Thortoise and the enclosure.

If there is anything anyone can think of, please advise.

Robin

smartypants

upload_2016-11-16_13-0-19.png

This is the enclosure we are working on (ahem...my husband is working on).

The lid will be in sections to accommodate lighting and such. They will have hinges for easy access and will be covered in plexiglass and wood. They will also be raised...they won't be sitting flat like in the picture...those are just the frames for the box sections.

I will post more pictures as we make further progress.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Looks like a good start to the project.

smartypants

Thanks for the welcome!

Question: What is the difference between the tropical and desert uva/uvb bulbs? Is this even needed?

Thortoise spends most days in his outdoor enclosure, but with winter approaching, he will be spending a lot of time indoors.

How much of this type of lighting is needed? What size fixture provides the appropriate amount of uva/uvb?

Robin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, but I think the tropical puts out less percentage of wave lengths (?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The higher humidity conditions for babies is to simulate monsoon season conditions. These conditions, warm and humid, are good for any size sulcata, and will actually help them to grow smoother over time. If he's only 6" long, you have a lot of "raising" still to do.

Here is the care info that will answer all your questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

"Desert" bulbs put out more UV. This is what you would need, but it will need to be mounted no more than 10-12" from the tortoise to be effective, and only use the long tube type, not the compact coil type. Where are you? You might not even need this.

He will outgrow this little box by next year, so be thinking ahead.

smartypants

I have been using the care sheets to get everything set up.

I only use the tubes...no coils...hate those things even for our house lighting.

This enclosure will only be for winter. We are in Texas and Thortoise stays outside most days, weather permitting. He comes in at night. My husband made the enclosure in such a way that the sides can be removed and it can be enlarged just by attaching additional framing, flooring and sides. So, no worries on the size thing.

Pictures following. PLEASE NOTE: the lights, humidifier and lack of cover are temporary and only for a few more days. Husband is still constructing the plexiglass cover sections. Lighting, heat and humidity will be installed appropriately upon completion.

ETA: I know the little bark is often NOT recommended, but Thortoise has never eaten it. I use it strictly to keep him from tracking so much dirt into his water. He eats from flat rocks or a terra cotta dish. Not from the soil surface.

Attachments

• IMG_1874 (1).JPG
    IMG_1874 (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

smartypants

Updated photos attached.

We are still working on the enclosure. Hubby has to work on it when he can...for some reason his job keeps getting in the way.

The lighting cords are a mess. Hubby has made a ballast to hold the cords so everything will be neat. The plastic sheeting will be replaced with plexiglass window sections which will open on hinges. We have timers and humidity monitors in place. Some of the lighting will be consolidated.

We are almost done!

Thortoise is loving his winter home. He has been really active.

Any suggestions for mercury bulbs? We have read that they provide both heat and the uva/uvb requirements? We would love to reduce the number of fixtures. It looks like an electrical nightmare right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7