Hello, meet Tom Thumb and Jane, and advice needed on egg incubation please

allotmentlady

Location (City and/or State)
Northampton
Hello from England. I'd like to introduce Tom Thumb and Jane. We have had Jane for 50 years, and Tom Thumb was given to us around 10 years ago. We think they are both Hermann's tortoises. Tom was very small when we got him and his shell was a strange shape, but he's much bigger and we think in better condition now. They both live outside all year round in a safe garden, and dig themselves in every winter to hibernate, although we make sure they are protected from rain and frost by putting straw and a waterproof box over them. Jane has laid eggs for around 20 years, and yesterday we dug up 8. We have tried incubating them before in a temperature controlled plant propagator in vermiculite. Last year we got a part formed embryo only, in previous years we have had no fertilised eggs (Tom Thumb was very small). We know he has done his duty this year though ! We are aiming again for an average temperature of 30 degrees C. The RH is around 60 %. So our questions are 1) Is there anything else we should be doing 2) Is the RH sufficient ? We have read some online guides as to incubation and it's all a bit confusing ! One of us used to have experience with chicken incubation but this is quite different. Thank you for reading and looking forward to any help you can offer ! First 2 pics are Jane, second 2 are Tom.

jane1.jpeg
jane2.JPG
tom1.jpeg

tom2.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

First let's be sure of the species. I'll send a shout-out to @TeamZissou to help with that.

Then, I incubate eggs. I use a Zoo Med Reptibator. I have a little cup of water inside for humidity, and I use slightly moist vermiculite on the floor of the Reptibator. I try to keep the temperature in the mid 80s.

allotmentlady

Northampton
Hi, and welcome!

First let's be sure of the species. I'll send a shout-out to @TeamZissou to help with that.

Then, I incubate eggs. I use a Zoo Med Reptibator. I have a little cup of water inside for humidity, and I use slightly moist vermiculite on the floor of the Reptibator. I try to keep the temperature in the mid 80s.
Thanks Yvonne, all help will be gratefully received.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello from England. I'd like to introduce Tom Thumb and Jane. We have had Jane for 50 years, and Tom Thumb was given to us around 10 years ago. We think they are both Hermann's tortoises. Tom was very small when we got him and his shell was a strange shape, but he's much bigger and we think in better condition now. They both live outside all year round in a safe garden, and dig themselves in every winter to hibernate, although we make sure they are protected from rain and frost by putting straw and a waterproof box over them. Jane has laid eggs for around 20 years, and yesterday we dug up 8. We have tried incubating them before in a temperature controlled plant propagator in vermiculite. Last year we got a part formed embryo only, in previous years we have had no fertilised eggs (Tom Thumb was very small). We know he has done his duty this year though ! We are aiming again for an average temperature of 30 degrees C. The RH is around 60 %. So our questions are 1) Is there anything else we should be doing 2) Is the RH sufficient ? We have read some online guides as to incubation and it's all a bit confusing ! One of us used to have experience with chicken incubation but this is quite different. Thank you for reading and looking forward to any help you can offer ! First 2 pics are Jane, second 2 are Tom.

View attachment 358376
View attachment 358377
View attachment 358378

View attachment 358379
Read this: