Hello, I'm the newbie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPIKE_Rocks!

5 Year Member
IMAG2067-1.jpg

My name is Lisa, Im the proud Mommy of SPIKE & we live in sunny Southern California. 8 yrs ago I found her in the middle of the street near my home. SPIKE is a very low maintenance kinda girl & enjoys sunbathing, occassional treats of strawberries/bananas & having free run of the backyard. When not outside her favorite spot is at the foot of my bed where she will stay for days till its time to venture back outside. SPIKE is very smart & taught herself how to open the screen door, but refuses to learn how to close it.

I look forward to learning more about her thru this app so that I can give her the best care possible. So far I think Ive done pretty well. I do have some issues which is why I searched for information. Just to voice some of my concerns in the 8 yrs I've had SPIKE Ive only seen her drink water twice, I've tried different types of water dishes but she wont use them, also I'd like to find a tortoise friendly lawn fertilizer, since we've also aquired a dog recently (who ♥s her by the way) our beautiful green yard isnt looking so good these days. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa and welcome to the Forum!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!!
Could you post a pic for us? :) Is your dog around Spike at all?
Reason I asked is becuz I have heard some terrible stories on the forum about their trusting dogs attacking their torts!! Just scares me! Glad you joined! :)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
What kind of Tort is Spike? She sure is a pretty thing isn't she!!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
LOL, love your dog, er tortoise house. very cute. so is your tort.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..beautiful tort you have there. Looks like a sulcata. Very smooth. Must be the sunshine and good food and lovin she gets...

SPIKE_Rocks!

5 Year Member
Thanks Im glad to be here :)

SPIKE is an african spurred, weighs about 16lbs. Not sure how to figure out how old but if the growth rings on her shell are any indication (like a tree) shes @ least 13, seems about right due to her size. She hasnt grown any in the 8 yrs that Ive had her.

As for the new dog, hes an 8yr old Shep/Lab mix. Hes very good with our cats & doesnt show any interest in SPIKE unless she moves & he just watches her. If I had any concerns whatsoever that SPIKE was in harms way I wouldn't let the dog anywhere around her.

SPIKE definitely ♥s the weather here & spends all day in the sun, she has her house to cool off in & I put fresh sod inside for added comfort since I noticed she likes to dig @ the ground before she rests & the floor of the doghouse is wood. I also have some tortoises shell lotion that keeps her shell from drying out which she gets done every so often if I notice the flesh between the plates gets dry. She seems to like it :)

Lets see...we have 4 cats, 2 birds, 1 rabbit, 1 dog & a tort of course

SPIKE_Rocks!

5 Year Member
Screenshot_2013-02-07-08-47-30.png

Did I mention SPIKE ♥s Strawberries? Shes so photogenic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.