Hello from Wisconsin

Lucygoose100

Location (City and/or State)
Deforest WI
Hello Everyone,
Thank you for inviting me to your group. I have been the guardian of 2 male Russians since 1996. I have made some of the mistakes (ie getting a friend for Pokey). Found out after the fact they are very territorial. :eek:
I have done some good things along the way as well, but am looking for more suggestions on how to keep improving they life with us.

I do have a questions, for those of you in the frozen tundra, do you have outdoor enclosures for the summer months? Previously most of the post I see are from warmer climates so they are not overly helpful.

Thanks Kelly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kelly, and welcome to the Forum!

My weather here isn't quite as cold in the winter as yours, but still too cold for a tortoise to stay alive outside. However, my russian group DOES live outside year round. What saves them during the winter is the fact that they brumate (hibernate). In the fall when I don't see them out and about anymore, I gather them up and put them into a safe hibernation place for the winter. (safe, dark, quiet, dry and 45F degrees or so)

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
Thank you YVonnne.
They have a indoor enclosure for during the spring, fall and winter. I am just not sure if I should also have an out door one for the summer. I live in town and have a fenced yard, but would worry about them I think during the day.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. I have read many times that Russians are escape artists. So if you do set them up outside. Make it like Fort Knox

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. When you set up a russian enclosure outside be aware, you have to bury the sides at lease 8inches to a foot. They can and will digg and climb. They have been known to climb a chain link fence although I have not seen this. I have my enclosure buried a foot down and two feet above ground. I used plastic panels from a Rubbermaid shed. They have not been able to get out of this.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
IMG_2976.jpg
Yes I guess I’m one of those that live where it’s warm . But I was born in Saginaw Michigan . But I like it here in tort heaven! [emoji217]