Hello from Texas

Terri Devin

I just found this forum while researching outdoor habitats!
We are in south Texas outside of Houston. We have 2 sulcatas that Santa brought for Christmas for my daughter. I've always wanted turtles and my 9 year old daughter is an animal lover. My brother works for an animal removal company. His co-worker was re-homing these 2 tortoises since his daughter no longer cared for them. As far as we know, we are their third home. They came to us with pyramiding. We were told they are 5-7 years old. From what I know, they lived on a farm and were kept in about a 20 gallon aquarium with substrate changes once a month. On well days, they were taken outside. We were given the tank and the heating pad they used. I was lucky to get them before Christmas so I bought new substrate, UVB light, heat lamp, food and made a house out of a clay pot. We have had them now 4 months but it feels like forever! December and January, they stayed inside in that small aquarium but the goal was to get them outside ASAP! On every nice day, they went outside. When temps at night were in the 60's outside, they stayed outside. They have been outside now since early March. They are in a small enclosure and using my extra large dog loo as their house. My husband is going to make the enclosure I am imagining soon so look for pictures!!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Aside from the tiny tank that you're getting rid of, it looks like at least one of your lights are a compact florescent. These are associated with a lot of tortoise eye damage.
If you get a chance, please post photos of the lighting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I saw your comment on the other thread that your husband is making you an outdoor enclosure. Be sure he makes it quite big. It's a real shame that these two big tortoises had to live in that tiny aquarium. They deserve as much space as you can give them.