Hello from Texas

arachnotron

Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood, TX
Hello, I'm Tristan from Friendswood, TX. I've been wanting to add a tortoise to the family for years. I grew up with box turtles, some of which are around 30 years old now. My grandmother has several Greek tortoises in Germany and a single Eastern box turtle that was brought over in the late '70s by my parents. I used to breed budgerigars, lovebirds and pacific parrotlets. I've since downsized my bird collection and have two Lovebirds. I also have two dogs, Luke a German Shorthaired Pointer and Logan a Hungarian Vizsla.

I've been researching Sulcatas and Leopards. I'm leaning towards a Leopard as they don't get as large and they don't dig like Sulcatas. From what I've read the Pardalis pardalis are a bit more cold tolerant? Ultimately I'd like to house it in the backyard in an enclosure year round if possible with shelter/ heating. At what age/size can they move from closed chamber to outdoors? I'm not really interested in breeding at this point in time, so I assume a single tortoise would be best?

Anyone know of reputable breeders?

Thanks,

Tristan

Attachments

• lukeandlogan.jpg
    lukeandlogan.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 13

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi Tristan, and welcome to the forum. Leopards would need to have an indoor enclosure at least for night and cold winter days for 2 to 3 years probably. Then with a heated night box they can move outside. I have leopard hatchlings for sale. They are not SA's though. Check out the care guide in the leopard section, and PM me if you are interested.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Tristan and welcome. You are wise to research first to see what you are letting yourself in for.
My tort (Lola) was found and not claimed so he adopted me, but I had no idea how much care they needed, so find out as much as you can - it is easier and less stressful for him if you have everything ready for him and his temps and humidity stable before he arrives. There is a good caresheet for sullies and leopards which will tell you all about temps diet substrate etc under the species specific section.
Thankfully TFO has pointed me in the right direction and Lola is doing well. He is approx. 4 yrs old and about 11 inches long already.
Because of our colder climate he lives indoors - even last summer our ground temps rarely reached 70'F so he was stuck inside and has a room to himself - I use a mercury vapour bulbs (mvb) and basking bulb for day and a Ceramic heat Emitter (CHE) on a thermostat for night heat and the room has a radiator on 24/7/365. - my gas and electricity bills have tripled in the last 18 months!
I should think Texas has a much warmer climate than the UK though. Good luck in your search.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tristan.