Hello from sunny Arizona!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, AZ
Hello everybody!!

My name is Doug, and I'm located just Southeast of the Phoenix Metro area. I have been cruising the site a lot lately as a guest, looking for sulcata information quickly at hand, and let me tell you, I believe TFO to be a great asset to any tortoise enthusiast. Granted, I am new round these parts, but I am impressed! :)

I have recently aquired a hatchling Sulcata, Sept 14th to be exact ;). I believe he/she is about one month old at the time of this post. As of now, he/she is still needs a name, but I believe that will come naturally as its personality begins to surface more.

At the time of writing this, he/she weights 42 grams and is aprox 2.75" long. The substrate in the enclosure is Organic Sphagnum Moss. The upright pot has Collards sprouting, and the pot on its side is for hiding. So far, the temp in the basking spot is aprox 95*, the warm side 85~90*, and the cool side 70~80*. The "den" side has been kept at about 75% humidity to try and minimize pyramiding. The tort gets to go outside at least once a day for a minimum of 20 mins to soak up the sun, exercise, and get some grazing in. The diet so far has been clover and grass while grazing and provided in the food dish. I also feed a Collards, Red Leaf, Romaine, Clover, and Kale salad mix every other day. (I change the ratios to simulate "variety").

I would like to thank all of the members of TFO for all of their important insight and experience, and Tom in particular for his detailed write-ups on his experiences, especially pyramiding, humidity, and lighting.

Things have been great with the lil guy, and below I have provided some pictures so everyone can get aquainted :D

P1020744.jpg

P1020736.jpg

P1020735.jpg

P1020799.jpg

P1020801.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

So it looks like he has a 2 sided habitat? Great idea. It also sounds like he is set up pretty good, so actually, I can't think of anything to say except Welcome!!

And please be aware that the biggest predator of tortoises in captivity is DOGS...so be aware, be very aware...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome Doug. There are a lot of us Arizonans on this forum. Nice enclosure. The only thing I would like to add is regarding the white colored stuff around the water dish. If they are rocks (I can't tell for sure) you should get rid of those. I just pulled a white rock out of Humphrey's mouth this morning. He is still a baby and was trying to eat it when I took him for a walk about in the yard outside. Not a good thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Doug:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That was a very nice introductory post. Thanks. And I really like good old What's-his-name too.

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, AZ
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! :D

To Maggie, while the dog is as friendly as can be, I certainly do not trust her around the tort and they have yet to meet each other. I have made sure to barricade the new "tort room" so the dog cannot even get close to the encloure ;).

To DesertGrandma, Yes those are rocks, although I believe the ones you may be refering to are equal to the size of the tort's shell, not too worried about being swallowed. I had some smaller stones scattered in the corner to help absorb, store, and radiate heat, but have since removed them.

I will pass all of the compliments on to What's-his/her-name LOL. I really need to figure out a name soon. Maybe a poll?? Haha.

But again, thank you all for the warm welcome, and we look forward to getting to know everyone! :D

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, AZ
Oh and yes, the enclosure is two sided.

I had the intentions to build a larger tort table myself, but I came across this one from ZooMed. I have a friend who works at a local pet supplier, this one was going on "dent n ding" special, so I scooped it instead for time sake. I have customized it a bit, added wood slats in the corners to prevent him from climbing and tipping over. I also have reduced the size of "burrow" hole to keep it darker, more humid, and feel a little more "sized" for the lil guy.

Also, for what it's worth, I probably would not have typically purchased this type of enclosure, as I feel the construction is a little on the weak side. But I was able to easily reinforce the unit myself.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Doug,
I am also in Arizona. Welcome to the forum and your little guy is so adorable. My little guy, Wilbur, is a hatchling sulcata too.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
welcome! Quite jealous about AZ.. Always wanted to get down there and check it out. Nice setup you have :D

Status
Not open for further replies.