Hello from sunny California!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andred82vert

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. My name is Andre, and i'm a proud owner of a month old baby Sulcata named Mortimer. Mortimer lives in a 30 gallon (LOW) aquarium with coco coir substrate. He has a flourescent light with UVB, a basking light, and a night glo light. Day time temps are around 95 on the hot side (75-80 at night), the cool side is around 75-80.

I feed him lettuce every morning (sprinkled with Herpvite and RepCal once a week), and he also grazes on the creeping jenny that i planted on his habitat. He has a water dish that he can easily go in and out of to cool himself, but i soak him everyday for 15 minutes. He seems pretty healthy, with a good appetite and he poops regularly.

I'm planning on spreading some annual/perrenial rye grass seeds so he can forage when ever he wants and to make his habitat a little more appealing to the eye :)

any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i'm planning on getting another baby tortoise to keep him company. Is it better to keep Mortimer alone?

Will post pictures after i re-arrange his enclosure

andred82vert

5 Year Member
right now, i'm feeding him romaine lettuce. I'm gonna pick up some spring mix later tonight. I planted some creeping jenny, "super-tuneas" (small flowering/trailing petunias) that are flourishing because of the lighting. Also, i'm gonna spread some rye grass seeds. I offered Mortimer some cut up timothy hay, but he doesn't want anything to do with it. I have a ton lying around because I have two guinea pigs. (Salem & Jacob)

Just a little tip: If you guys want to spread some grass seeds in your tortoise enclosures, make sure to read the back of the packaging because some grass seeds are "treated" and are poisonous for animals that ingest the seeds or blades themselves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Andre:

599213pex6cy0f9k.gif

to the forum!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Andre and Mortimer Welcome to the forum. Just a quick FYI baby Sullys don't seem to eat grass very well they prefer broad leaf greens until they get older. Check under the Sully forum for additional information on that the search engine should help. :)

andred82vert

5 Year Member
Introducing Mortimer. "Mort' -the tort" for short!
IMG_6156-1.jpg

His humble home
IMG_6184.jpg

"Hey, that looks good to eat"
IMG_6165.jpg

ommm nom nom nom
IMG_6168.jpg

OMMM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!!
IMG_6171.jpg

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Mort the tort....tooo funny:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mort the Tort! How cute!!

YVonne

Status
Not open for further replies.