Hello from Southeast Texas!

BoyMomx4

Location (City and/or State)
Lumberton, TX
Please bear with me as i am new to this forum and "forums" in general.

I have a sweet little three toed box turtle (Mikey) hatch-ling (i believe) i also believe she is a she :) My son and i rescued her from a dogs mouth about a year and a half ago (roughly) she was the size of a half dollar at the time and while she has definitely grown, not by much :) My main goal right now is to get her habitat up to par for her to continue to have a wonderful spoiled life :<3: Any and all tips and info are welcomed!

Info on current habitat...

She is in a 20 gal aquarium tank inside, her bedding currently is pure sphagnum moss (i've used several different things just cant seem to find what she likes best), i have lots of rocks and hiding places for her as well as a feeding rock and a shallow water dish that she can freely get in and out of. i use a reptile lamp on one side of her tank (trying to keep her temps @ 70-85 during the day and no lower than 65 at night). i don't have anything to keep track of the humidity yet but i do keep it humid (not wet) in her tank at all times.

20170726_191044.jpg 20170726_142839.jpg 20180809_150328.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Please read the care sheets (someone here will give you the links or information as to the best care sheets on this site) for box turtles so you can give her the best possible conditions for her life with you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome, Mikey is a little cutie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah GEEZ! What a great picture that first one is!!!!! I read your words, then scrolled down to see the pictures, and I burst out laughing! Gosh that's cute.

Box turtles like to dig into the substrate. I've raised quite a few babies, and what I like best, even though it's messy, is soil. I buy a good brand of potting soil, something with no additives or perlite. I keep it moist. Your baby should be kept at about 80F degrees day and night. As he gets bigger you can start letting the night temp drop a bit, but for now, 80F day and night. I feed a lot of live food to the babies, but I also try to get them used to eating veggies too. So I take a small spoonful of the baby tortoise greens, chopped up real small, and mix in some juice from a can of cat food. I stir it all up so the greens are covered in juice (so all the bits and pieces smell like cat food), then I plunk that down on the feeding tile and add a bit of live food on top.

Ok, I gotta go back now and take another look at that first picture. . .

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Mikey is adorable. I love the picture of him peeking over the edge of the bowl.