Hello from southeast VA, tips plz

Ajbuer0325

Hi guys and gals,
I'm Andi. and I have a brand new (4-8wk old) baby sulcata. I got her(temperature sexed) 4 days ago from one of my fave pet stores that breed them. I built her a 2'x4'x10" table. currently using Timothy hay for bedding on top of newspaper. I have an all in one Sun glow 80watt basking bulb for daylight hours and a ceramic heat emitter for at night. She has a hide cave with wet moss on the cool side (80 degrees) along with shallow food and water dishes. And hot side stays between 95-98 degrees. I've soaked her twice in last 48hrs and she's only pooped once (this morning). She likes to sleep under her basking bulb alot. I'm a little worried she may not be eating enough because I've read in here that they eat quite a bit.... I've given her a mix of collard greens, hibiscus leaves, x-mas cactus and added a tiny bit of shredded carrot this morning. will upload pictures soon for reference. Any additional tips are appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

Torts can take quite a while to settle in to a new home. As long as you soak your baby daily your tort will be fine and come round in time.

Please post pictures of your tort (they're cute and we love them ;) ) and your enclosure and lighting and we'll be happy to recommend improvements that will help your new chum. After all you will have her for the next 60+ years and she will grow rapidly to the 100lb mark so it's important to get things right now :)

If you haven't already, I recommend that you read these TFO guides written by species experts who are working hard to correct the outdated information frequently given out by pet stores and, sadly, by some vets and breeders too. They will answer many of your concerns.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andi, and welcome to the Forum!

There's quite a bit you can change as far as the tortoise's habitat and temperatures. Be sure to read the links that JoesMum gave you.

Besides being a new tortoise, which means it takes a while for them to settle down and start eating, your tortoise needs different care and warmer environment. I think once you change the substrate and temperatures, you'll see an improvement in the appetite.

Ajbuer0325

Well I have read through all these helpful links and have to say Thank You!!!! I have two adjustments I will definitely be making to my turtle table because of them. But here is the pics I said I would post from my earlier post. I will be changing the bedding now and I will be making an enclosed top to control humidity.I have several moss balls soaked around the enclosure currently. I have a temp gun coming from amazon as well as a hydrometer probe remote in the next few days.

Attachments

• 20160817_095154.jpg
    20160817_095154.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160817_132532.jpg
    20160817_132532.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160817_132602.jpg
    20160817_132602.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20160817_132714_001.jpg
    20160817_132714_001.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20160817_132723.jpg
    20160817_132723.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to you and to your cute little tort, to the forum!:D

Lovely enclosure. Lucky thing.;)

MParsons327

Welcome,
I'm a newb here as well. I just received my sully as well. I believe he/she is roughly the same age. I will def be following the rest of your table build. I have something similar planned coming soon. I'm curious as to how much your little girl weighs?
Cheers,
Matt

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you like, but tortoises use very little oxygen, so just opening it up once or twice a day to spot clean, add food and water etc. should suffice.

Ajbuer0325

Welcome,
I'm a newb here as well. I just received my sully as well. I believe he/she is roughly the same age. I will def be following the rest of your table build. I have something similar planned coming soon. I'm curious as to how much your little girl weighs?
Cheers,
Matt

Well I have no idea what she weighs I would have to get a gram scale to know for sure ....so deff. less than a pound. I built my table from 1"x10"x6' white boards, a 2x4' birchwood plywood 1/2" sheet, and one stick of 2x2". I then stained it with minwax stain poly in one. took a day or so for the stain to cure.