Hello from Kansas City!

RockChalk

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
My husband has a workshop and a pile of lumbar from other projects, so I'm lucky because I have him build. He built satellites and rockets for the Air Force Academy and has a degree in mechanical engineering. He can build absolutely anything.

My indoor table is plastic. Since I was in the market for a baby, I wanted to start smallish and grow out over time. I found a plastic raised garden bed and made a lid out of wire shelving that my husband wired together so that I have hinged sections. This setup can later be fused to a 2nd plastic box to double the size.

For outside, I'm going to start with a kiddie pool because I don't want to lose the baby if she digs out.

Later, my husband is going to build a huge turtle enclosure with wooden sides. I'm still figuring out how to address digging but I have time. I have a huge back yard that gets southern sun exposure.

RockChalk

Kansas City
Chris (gardenstatetortoise) and Andrew (arizonatortoisecompound) both will have babies available when you're ready. I highly recommend adopting from one of them. I adopted from Stephen Egnatchik and Watson will be here Tuesday morning!

Callow

5 Year Member
I see my friend Stacy is already all over this thread! HAHAH (she and I are neighbors - lots of KS and MO newbies here, did you see that in Introductions? Funny, must be in the air!) Well, she's just darling!! So you adopted from someone named Stephen, but is he Gardenstate or ArizonaTortoiseCompound? Just curious as we've been having a bit of a hard time locating available Hermanns. So will you be raising your guys together? I've read that if you raise them together from the start they can enjoy a beautiful life together without fighting and bullying, though I guess we always have to be vigilant. Anyway, congrats, she's perfect, and makes me so excited! PS MIZ- ZOU! ;)

RockChalk

Kansas City
She's a Dalmatian, so a variant of Easterns - at least that's the official word as of right now from taxonomists. Some believe that it should be a subspecies. I have no opinion one way or the other, but there are some pretty strict rules in the evolutionary biology world about what constitutes a true subspecies.

Stephen is a breeder in California. He's on this forum as Pets101. Nice guy.

I live in Lawrence, so I don't personally know anyone else on the forum. I usually say Kansas City so people don't need a geography lesson about where Lawrence is and how it's much more like Missouri than the rest of Kansas.