Hello from Florida!

Varynox

Hello,I my name is Robert and I am from Florida.I used to own a Sulcata Tortoise 2 years ago.Sadly I had to give him to my friend because He was getting too big for my house.I now have a new house and a good amount of knowledge about Sulcata Tortoises.I plan to get new Sulcata Tortoise hatchlings on Febuary 5th.If you guys could give me some suggestions for a Tortoise table for my new Sulcatas. I plan to start ordering the Tortoise supplies on January 30th and build the table on Febuary 1st.I will be using a ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 Compact Fluoresent lamp and for substrate i will use ZooMed ReptiBark Nautural Reptile Bedding.Will it be ok if I carve out a hook so i could hang the deep dome that i will get to a little lamp that i will build?Also can i have some suggestions on heaters for my tortoises?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi Robert and welcome! I'm so glad you knew your limits back then and gave your sulcata to a friend. May I ask how he's doing? I assume your friend knows how to raise a sulcata.The first thing I would recommend is to read Tom's threads on raising a sulcata, especially baby hatchlings. There you'll find recommendations to give baby hatchlings a warm soak twice daily. Babies won't eat hay, but since grass should make up about 70% of what they eat, I found that new, green, rye grass is soft and appealing to baby sulcatas. Of course, you should cut it up for him. To that you may want to add hibiscus leaves and flowers. You can add cut up bits of endive, romaine, cactus, and weeds. Tom has a list of things you can provide as food for your baby. How do you expect to keep your baby humid enough in his enclosure? The table will neither keep it heated nor humid to avoid pyramiding unless you create an environment where heat and humidity will not escape. Again Tom shows what his "closed chamber" looks like and how to build one. And, the compact fluorescent bulb you want to get is questionable. Is this a coil type bulb? Is it a long vertical bulb? If so, coil bulbs are strongly not recommended because of the potential risk to the baby's eyes. The long florescent bulb would not provide enough heat. What I would recommend is a mercury vapor bulb (MVB). It not only provides the UVB that babies need especially during the winter days where the temps outside are too cold, but it provides heat. A 100 watt bulb would work well. They are a bit pricy, but worth it. Finally, I live in Florida (northwest panhandle). Where in Florida do you live?
The reason why I ask is because most winter days you may not need a a MVB if you can get the baby outside on a sunny day for a couple of hours. If the temps are between 75-80 degrees, I would put the baby outside in a protected fenced area under constant supervision. Predators like falcons, eagles, and the larger birds could easily pick off your baby in a swift scoop. Other predators like stray cats, or dogs, are equally dangerous. The fence should be sturdy enough that the baby can't dig out of it. All things like this is well covered in Tom's threads. Read them before your baby arrives. I hope and await your new arrival. Keep us posted:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If $300.00 is your budget, then I strongly suggest you think of buying a much smaller tortoise rather than a sulcata. Sulcatas grow very rapidly, and require multiple housing setups during their lifespan. They have an insatiable appetite requiring lots of grass and other foods. They can be very destructive on personal property and that of your neighbors. If they get sick that could cost thousands of dollars over the years. Need I go on? It's no joke. Keeping and caring for exotic animals is a costly business. I would reconsider owning and caring for sulcatas. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm blunt sometimes, but it's because I've seen so many times sulcatas suffering as they get older because their owners didn't consider the costs involved in owning these precious creatures. I just want you to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Varynox

If $300.00 is your budget, then I strongly suggest you think of buying a much smaller tortoise rather than a sulcata. Sulcatas grow very rapidly, and require multiple housing setups during their lifespan. They have an insatiable appetite requiring lots of grass and other foods. They can be very destructive on personal property and that of your neighbors. If they get sick that could cost thousands of dollars over the years. Need I go on? It's no joke. Keeping and caring for exotic animals is a costly business. I would reconsider owning and caring for sulcatas. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm blunt sometimes, but it's because I've seen so many times sulcatas suffering as they get older because their owners didn't consider the costs involved in owning these precious creatures. I just want you to do the right thing.
[/QUOTE]
Do you recommend another tortoise that will stay small thank you for this information my old sulcata was only 2 years old and i didnt even know that they grow really fast also what website do you recommend to order tortoise from

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do you recommend another tortoise that will stay small thank you for this information my old sulcata was only 2 years old and i didnt even know that they grow really fast also what website do you recommend to order tortoise from[/QUOTE]

Here at the forum, there are breeders of all sorts of tortoises. They also provide excellent care sheets that can help you raise your tortoise with minimal costs. I would recommend a Hermann or Russian tortoise. They don't require big housing, and they don't grow too big. Any tortoise you buy will still require proper heating, lighting, and suitable housing. If a tortoise is not given the proper care, they can get sick and require vet care. In other words, the better you care for the tortoise, the less lightly he'll get sick and require a doctor visit, which cost.
In the introduction page of this website, there are threads that may help you pick a tortoise that best fits your lifestyle. Also, threads on caring for your tortoise are also available. Let me know if you can't find it. I'll help you with that.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Do you recommend another tortoise that will stay small thank you for this information my old sulcata was only 2 years old and i didnt even know that they grow really fast also what website do you recommend to order tortoise from[/QUOTE]
Hello Robert we have a member that has a web page ( Andy ) he's AZ Tortoise Compound he has a phone number so call him get know him like I have you'll like him . And :ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453690868.751233.jpg

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Hello nice to meet you,do you have any suggestions for tortoises that dont get big?Thanks for the help!
I am not sure how much they cost at your area, so maybe you would want a Mediterranean species, like hermann's or russians or greek?

Varynox

Thank you for all the replies I think I will be going with a greek tortoise thank you for all the help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. Ditch your compact florescent light. They DO cause eye issues. Sometimes permanent ones.
Where in Florida are you?
Redfoot do very well here. They get large, but not too large and do well in groups. (Not pairs)
Redfoot sub adults are easy to keep. (Easier than babies) And can be purchased for $150-$250.

Varynox

I live in Pensacola Florida and thanks do you have a recommended uvb light?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. An MVB (Mercury vapor bulb) It will safely provide both heat and UVB lighting in one.
Or, inside a closed chamber, if no heat is needed, like I have, just a single UVB florescent strip light such as a Powersun 5.0 18" works very well.
Redfoot don't like it very hot. 80-90. Humidity of over 75% and they do not require a basking spot.
If you get a larger one, he can be kept outside for most of the year.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

I live one hour from you(Fort Walton Beach!) When I go to my doctor's in Pensacola, perhaps we can meet and I can give you tips on how to set up your enclosure for whatever species of tortoise you decide to get. Perhaps, if you're down by mw, I can show you my miniature salcata Zoo. PETsMART carries a few kinds of mercury vapor bulbs (MVB). You may be able to find cheaper ones online.

Varynox

Hello to everyone can anyone give me tortoise recommendations for my climate?It usually rains everyday and in winter its cold Thanks for all the help

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome to the best forum in town for the right information you need to raise a tortoise

Varynox

I have raised a sulcata tortoise 2 years ago and had to give it to my friend due to space problems