Hello :) first timer

Roddytort121

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire UK
Hello! So I've been thinking about and researching tortoises for over a year and finally went for it this week. I decided to take on a 5 year old male horse field who was no longer wanted by its owners. Even as a novice I could see he had not had all his needs met when I went to collect him. He was kept in a completely glass viv with a heat mat and unsure what bulb above. He does look very well however and is very active! He has now got a much bigger tortoise table with all he needs and uvb heat lamp etc. But he doesn't seem to eat much at all? I'm a little worried about that. I've given him dandelion cuttlefish. Just any tips really. Eventually he'll be getting an outdoor Home for the summer :) bless him

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I'm the resident forum nit picker and I always point out the problems I see. I do this to be helpful, but some people take offense. I hope these tips help.

1. That enclosure is much too small. They need some thing at least 3x6' and 4x8' is better.
2. Carrots are not a good food. Too high in sugar, which can upset their GI tract.
3. That substrate is dangerous. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a very bad idea. That stuff should be taken off the market.

Also, there is nothing wrong with glass tanks and vivs. This is an old persistent myth. They are actually better for babies since they help hold in more heat and humidity.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What temp do you have him at? What as he eating before and what all have you tried feeding him?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom didn't mention this, but Russians are great climbers. I would put a lip around that enclosure, especially the corners. Can you make him a bigger enclosure and/or make another layer to it? They maybe small, but these guys need lots of room.

You are off to a good start. :) He is a handsome fellow.

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Hello and welcome.

I'm the resident forum nit picker and I always point out the problems I see. I do this to be helpful, but some people take offense. I hope these tips help.

1. That enclosure is much too small. They need some thing at least 3x6' and 4x8' is better.
2. Carrots are not a good food. Too high in sugar, which can upset their GI tract.
3. That substrate is dangerous. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a very bad idea. That stuff should be taken off the market.

Also, there is nothing wrong with glass tanks and vivs. This is an old persistent myth. They are actually better for babies since they help hold in more heat and humidity.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
The viv he was in was much much smaller, it's only really for him when he comes inside of an evening, once his outdoor enclosure is ready he can have more space :)

Yes the carrots were a mistake I found out when I had second thoughts and looked into it, thankfully he was interested in them and were removed, I've given him a selection of garden weeds now ( dandelions, chick weeds etc)

The substrate I'm not sure about? I didn't know it was encouraging him to eat it? It's like a gritty sandy but clay ish when wet.

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Hi and welcome! What temp do you have him at? What as he eating before and what all have you tried feeding him?
He's at 30 in the basking area and room temp elsewhere? And he was on pellets and salad but I've got him on weeds now

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Tom didn't mention this, but Russians are great climbers. I would put a lip around that enclosure, especially the corners. Can you make him a bigger enclosure and/or make another layer to it? They maybe small, but these guys need lots of room.

You are off to a good start. :) He is a handsome fellow.

I could try of course! I'll look at the lip idea and see what I can put together, I know it's still not big enough but I was so sad at the viv he came in and how small it was I just got the first table I saw on the day.we'like get there! http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/Charlieymooh/P1010609.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

One thing to remember is that tortoises are territorial. He's lived in the old "territory" for a long time, and it was a safe place for him. He knew to expect food and water in the territory, and that he wasn't going to be harmed. Now he's been plunked down in a new, unknown territory. Regardless that it's bigger and better, all he knows is that he wants to stay hidden or maybe try to escape back to his old territory. It will take several days and maybe even a couple weeks for him to realize he's safe here. Just keep feeding him and taking care of his habitat and water, etc. Try to be calm and quiet around him to reassure him that he's safe. Offer him foods from this list, and mix them up weekly to give him a nice variety:

Romaine lettuce (fed on occasion)
Red and green leaf lettuce (fed on occasion)
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Chicory
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards

Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (fed on occasion)
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (not the banana type fruit....the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves....make sure no systemic pesticides were used)
Chrysanthemum flowers
Cornflowers Plagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
Dayflower Commelina diffusa (flowers and leaves)
Californian Poppy escholzia
Chia Salvia hispanica

Try to not get fixated on offering the same foods over and over. They need a variety.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
When I got my Russian, Herbert, he would not eat much at all. I have had him for a bit over a month and him appetite is finally picking up. He now comes out of hiding when I put his food out. It just takes time for some to aclamat , some take longer then others. He sure is a nicely colored Russian. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Rue

Canada
Congrats on your new Russian/Horsfield's! (Don't know which one to use!)...:)

sheilae04

He's beautiful! I was worried too when mine didn't eat, but I was reassured it takes them a while when they move to a new home. Sure enough, after about a week, he started eating. He's still picky, and romaine is his go to food. I've had good luck with kale and have some ground hibiscus on order that I've heard makes their food tastier

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

One thing to remember is that tortoises are territorial. He's lived in the old "territory" for a long time, and it was a safe place for him. He knew to expect food and water in the territory, and that he wasn't going to be harmed. Now he's been plunked down in a new, unknown territory. Regardless that it's bigger and better, all he knows is that he wants to stay hidden or maybe try to escape back to his old territory. It will take several days and maybe even a couple weeks for him to realize he's safe here. Just keep feeding him and taking care of his habitat and water, etc. Try to be calm and quiet around him to reassure him that he's safe. Offer him foods from this list, and mix them up weekly to give him a nice variety:

Romaine lettuce (fed on occasion)
Red and green leaf lettuce (fed on occasion)
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Chicory
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards

Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (fed on occasion)
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (not the banana type fruit....the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves....make sure no systemic pesticides were used)
Chrysanthemum flowers
Cornflowers Plagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
Dayflower Commelina diffusa (flowers and leaves)
Californian Poppy escholzia
Chia Salvia hispanica

Try to not get fixated on offering the same foods over and over. They need a variety.
Thanks this is very helpful!

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Thanks everyone, he does have wonderful colours and markings! It's his 4th day and with each day that passes he's more and more confident showing just a few more characteristics!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Congratulations on your acquisition! Your tort happens to be GORGEOUS! You'll be sorting things out as you go with the enclosure, food and everything else. I often hear that torts go on bit of hunger strike after changing locations. I'd just give him nice warm baths, offer good food and water, keep his temps/humidity right and mostly give him little time to get used to his new environment

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Congratulations on your acquisition! Your tort happens to be GORGEOUS! You'll be sorting things out as you go with the enclosure, food and everything else. I often hear that torts go on bit of hunger strike after changing locations. I'd just give him nice warm baths, offer good food and water, keep his temps/humidity right and mostly give him little time to get used to his new environment
Thank you, he does have lovely strong markings! He's really confident today! He even took food from me and has stopped shooting back into his shell!