Hello. First timer here.

drgoats

Hi everyone, I have had a couple of Russian Tortoises for about 10 years now. At a recent trip to the pet store to get some supplies I was enlightened by one of the workers there that I may not being doing things properly. All I knew at this point was what was I told at my initial purchase and here I am 10 years later and really concerned about my arrangements for my guys.

What I think I am doing wrong:

My tortoises are approximately 5-6" (not positive on this, I'm at work and can't measure) and are sharing a 40 gallon breeder.
I know I am not feeding them properly but your suggestions here are going to be used.
I believe I am not providing the proper light for them and I will make better arrangements with this as well.

Habitat:

After browsing this forum today I have heard that Russian Tortoises don't usually do well together. Mine, both females, have had a couple of scraps here and there but for the most part are complacent. Should I consider setting up 2 habitats to keep them separate? Also, I believe my current set up is awfully small for them so I think I need to upgrade as soon as possible. I've seen some users here utilizing storage bins and I am wondering if I will be able to find one that is large enough to house mine considering their size. Otherwise I think I will have to go with a bookcase set up but I really don't have enough space for 2 of those to keep them separate. I guess one other option would be to use 2 zoo med tortoise houses connected.

Thank you all in advance. I am so happy I found this forum sooner than later.

AnimalLady

Hello and Welcome! I love Russian torts, I have one myself :)
Torts in general are solitary creatures and prefer to be alone. I can tell you that although they are small they need a lot of room to roam around. The bigger you can make the enclosure the better.

To get ahead of the gang, i'm sure they will ask for you to post pictures of your current set up.. this way they can really see what you have going on and can better help you that way.

Here at TFO we LOVE pictures, feel free to post a pic of your girls :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's my take on your question: Since your girls have been living 'mostly' peacefully for 10 years, it's probably ok to keep them together. But bear in mind (bare?) that when you upgrade the habitat, all bets might be off. Putting them together in a new habitat may be asking for them to fight, trying to establish territorial claims. You may have to put one of them back into the old habitat, giving the new space to the other one.

We have two very good care sheets for Russian tortoises. Take some time to read them and get ideas on how to upgrade before you build.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Separating them will probably be necessary in my opinion,as they have already shown signs of aggression and one of them is likely to get hurt sooner or later, not to speak of psychological damage.
Regarding space, it may be possible for you to set up a couple of double decker/ two level enclosures to maximize your surface area. The enclosures section has good examples of these.
It's great you've come here with an open mind seeking advice to make your tortoises lives a little happier! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I would try leaving them together for now, but always be aware and watchful of fighting or bullying behavior. Along with enlarging their inside enclosure, do they have an outdoor one when the weather is warm enough?

If you post pictures where we can see those lively rearends (we are looking at the tail), we may tell you what gender they are.

Don't be beating yourself up about your past care, you can do nothing about it. Instead only focus on the now and the future. It will be okay.