Hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asti73

5 Year Member
Hi,
My name is Maxine and I am in the U.k. I don't currently own a tortoise, but have wanted one for a few years. I am currently researching how to care for them and when I feel confident I will take the plunge, I think! The last time I went through this, researching them, the conflicting advice put me off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Maxine, and welcome to the Forum!!

Well, you will get conflicting advice here too. That doesn't mean any of it is incorrect. I live in Central California, where the weather is pretty mild, so what I have to do to give my tortoises what they need is different from what Wellington, who lives in Illinois, has to do.

It's up to you to learn what your tortoise needs, then try to supply it as best you can.

We can tell you what our favorite substrate is, what kind of lights we use, etc. and you take it and run with it.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Welcome to the forum!
You are certainly doing the right thing by researching before you buy, so much to know!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Maxine welcome to the TFO
How much space have you , are you thinking baby or adult , are you going to raze it inside or out ?
And remember this is a life time and be on commitment . Are you planning
to work 60 or 70 hr work week ? A tort
Is like a child it needs you.
And all the above can be cause conflicting answers . But I have some
7 types of water turtles , and 9 differt
Types of torts. And wouldn't want
Evan 1 less . And enjoy all of them.

And 2 types of box turtles

stu

5 Year Member
Hi were are you in the UK? I'm in Oxford. You will learn so much on this site. Do you know what tortoise you want?

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Remember, when designing an outdoor enclosure, bigger is always better, and make it predator-proof.

bextort

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm also from the UK, manchester.
I took the plunge about 6 weeks ago and have not regretted it at all. I love the experience of having a tortoise and yes there's and dos and donts but I have found a lot of it a personal learning curve in terms of getting to know yours tortoise, and their likes/dislikes.
:)

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Welcome. That's very sensible doing research before you get one. I still get overwhelmed with the info sometimes but it gets easier, that being said there is always new things to learn :)
Once you start putting the information you have into practice it will be much easier.

Asti73

5 Year Member
laney said:
Welcome. That's very sensible doing research before you get one. I still get overwhelmed with the info sometimes but it gets easier, that being said there is always new things to learn :)
Once you start putting the information you have into practice it will be much easier.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am in Nottingham.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Hi! I'm in Cambridge, UK. I have a couple of stars! Tons of information on here and loads of very helpful (and very experienced) tortoise keepers / experts. I've learnt everything I know from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.