Hello everyone!

amnaturalist

I am a long time pet owner I love animals and feel that I connect well with them. I love having life in my house, I have a large collection of plants, 2 cats, 6 neon tetra, 3 autocats, and 3 ghost shrimp. I love diying and have made some elaborate tank setups for aquariums. Now I want to try my hand at a tortoise, they seem
Like an amazing and unique pet I'm debating on which breed I want to go with right now I love the look of red foots and I live in Michigan where we have really humid Summer's so I think one would do well here outdoors in the summer. I have read that Russians Can handle lower temps though but don't know if I want to take on the responsibility of the hibernation thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Russians are a great tortoise, specially for beginners. They stay small but still need lots of room, but don't get as big as a RF. They don't need to brumate in the winter. I don't mine.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome to the forum. You have choose the right place to get started to becoming a tortoise keeper. Have a open mind and take all the input as help. There is a lot of great information here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome. Another thing to keep in mind, Russians can be escape artist, ehile the more colorful redfoots seldom are known for these antics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think a RedFooted tortoise would fit right into your lifestyle. Take a look at some of Terryo's RF and box turtle habitats. Being a DIY'er, I can see you'll be making some pretty beautiful habitats for a RF tortoise.