Hello Everyone! Meet Terra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
She is a little shy but enjoying this wonderful California weather, with supervision of course. Soon she will have her own little garden to roam and munch to her hearts content. We are building it this weekend, any suggestions on what to plant, I currently am going to plant some sulcatafood seed, pansies, ca poppy, succulents, and kale.

Attachments

• DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 93

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute tort. Take a look on the tortoisetable.org for all kinds of planting ideas.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and what an absolutely lovely little giant....that grass is a wonderful wonderful munchie for your tort to get use to....just make sure no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers....:D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What a cutie beauty! Fab picture. That looks like it might be St Augustine grass and if it is, your tortoise is sitting in heaven. Outside of your tortoise habitat area, or even in it, if you can design it in, you might consider roses, hibiscus, grapes for the leaves, a dwarf fig tree. "Cat grass" - I got seeds at Home Depot and Target - are good for variety, and healthy! Nasturtiums are easy to grow and both flowers and leaves are edible. Very pretty, too. Ivy geranium flowers. There are a lot things that you can plant for your garden that you can then feed your tortoise. The only thing about getting things at the big box stores is that you should wait a 3-6 months to feed in order to leech out possible fertilizers used before they hit market.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi try looking online for a tortoise seed mix, I planted mine a few months ago hopefully ill transfer to the garden if this uk spring ever starts.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Have you seen Toms threads in the stickies section of the sulcata sub forum? He has taken the time to post for all of us sulcata owners very good info for raising healthy, happy sulcatas.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
Thanks everyone =). I have already planted a hibiscus plant and the grass in the picture is in my back yard. We don't use any kind of fertilizer or pesticides on it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can also plant, grape vines (for the leaves), arugula (grows like a "bad" weed here), endive, cilantro, all sorts of squashes (again for the leaves), clover, alfalfa, some spineless opuntia cactus (for the young pads), and one of my favorites is the "Testudo Mix" of seeds from Tyler and Sarah at tortoisesupply.com. I would say grass, but t looks like you've got that covered.:D

Then don't forget to hunt around for other weeds and maybe some mulberry leaves too.

I think its completely fantastic that you are wanting to plant and grow your own foods!

Status
Not open for further replies.