Hello everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredP

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, I am new to tortoises and I am really glad to find this forum. I did a lot of research online and at local pet stores and decided to get a baby Sulcata(Nibbler). I know all the time, money and space needed to take care of one and I believe I have the resources to be a good owner. There's a ton of info on this site and I have learned alot. Thanks! I do have one concern though. I currently live in Oregon but am moving to Colorado Springs next week. There is actaully alot of sunny warm days there and I will have a secure large indoor area as well. The concern I have is about the altitude. Does anyone know if there are any special concerns with high altitude(over 5000 ft.) with torts? Anyway, I'm happy to be a part of TFO and look fowrad to hearing from you.

Jared

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Jared

Welcome to the forum (Sorry I cant help you with your question about altitude, I am sure someone will).

When you will get your sulcata do not forget to post the pic :D.

I am sure you will love it here

Isa

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings & Welcome!

You know, just to add one more thing to your thought processes, will you be able to keep your new friend warm enuf when the snow is deep and the temps below freezing? While small, it won't be an issue, but when your sulcata grows to 100+ pounds, it may be problematic ~

Anyways, it's nice to see one taking so much care in preparing for a tortie ~ again, Welcome ~
Purpod

JaredP

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You know, just to add one more thing to your thought processes, will you be able to keep your new friend warm enuf when the snow is deep and the temps below freezing? While small, it won't be an issue, but when your sulcata grows to 100+ pounds, it may be problematic ~

Thanks for your concern, but you would be surprised about how nice the weather is in Colorado Springs, but I will definitely keep Nibbler warm when it does snow(in his own house or in the garage with insulation and heat and light). I got em about a week ago. Here's a pic.:). enjoy.

Attachments

• Nibbler.jpg
    Nibbler.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA

Good deal, Jared! And my, what a lil' cutie you have there ~

Purpod

JaredP

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I named him/her Nibbler. So far I've enjoyed having him around. I look foward to many years of enjoyment.

Jared

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
nibbler is so awesome! congrats and welcome!

M

mrspio82

JaredP said:
Hi, I am new to tortoises and I am really glad to find this forum. I did a lot of research online and at local pet stores and decided to get a baby Sulcata(Nibbler). I know all the time, money and space needed to take care of one and I believe I have the resources to be a good owner. There's a ton of info on this site and I have learned alot. Thanks! I do have one concern though. I currently live in Oregon but am moving to Colorado Springs next week. There is actaully alot of sunny warm days there and I will have a secure large indoor area as well. The concern I have is about the altitude. Does anyone know if there are any special concerns with high altitude(over 5000 ft.) with torts? Anyway, I'm happy to be a part of TFO and look fowrad to hearing from you.

Jared

I don't know anything about altitude, but I do know that there are regulations on moving sulcatas - check out this website http://www.tortoise.org/news/2000s2.html - to make sure that you are aware of the laws. I wasn't when I moved from Indiana to Florida - ooops. I was so worried about all of my animals making the trip - it was a 26 hour drive that we did straight through - only stopping for gas and food - would have been quicker, but the u-haul pulling my car slowed us down. Everyone (2 cats, sulcata, water dragon, rabbit, guinie pig, and hedgehog) all made it fine. No one told me to check the laws on moving exotics across state lines, so figured I would pass the info on before you made the same mistake I did:)
Good luck!!

JaredP

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the concern. I believe that I'll be allright since I have a health cert. Yeah we'll be driving about 22 hrs in 2 days. It's going to be an adventure.

Jared

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats on your new baby - such a sweetie!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jared, I am not sure what the answer is to your question about altitude. Torts are shipped all the time and live in many different places. Some have even adapted to high altitudes in their native habitats.
Sulcatas come from the sub Sahara in Africa which includes: Senegal, Niger, Chad and Ethiopia. Below is what I found on their elevations
Senegal 200ft above sea level,
Niger 300 m above sea level,
Chad The highest point in Chad is Emi Koussi, a mountain that rises 3100 meters (10,200 ft.) in the northern Tibesti Mountains. The Ennedi Plateau and the Ouaddaï highlands in the east complete the image of a gradually sloping basin, which descends towards Lake Chad which is 298 m above sea level. There are also central highlands in the Guera region rising to 1500 meters (4900 feet).
Ethiopia ranges fro 126 m below seal level to 4,620 meters

I would think that if you travel and feel pressure on your ears you may think about stopping to let you and the tort adjust for a bit.

By the way Congrats on aquireing Nibbler s/he is a cutie. Welcome to the forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nibbler is a sweetie! We traveled a couple of times (in a semi) with an older Russian and he had no noticeable trouble. I bet you will find the same. Good advice was given, that if you notice yourself having symptoms, then act like Nibblers is too.

Pretty in that area. Good luck with a smooth move.

Status
Not open for further replies.