hello and please help (Species & care?)

kingsean

hello everyone been a long time turtle and tortoise lover and finally got my first tortoise. The problem is I'm not sure of the species. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I rescued this guy or gal from a unwanted household for 20$ and I want to make sure I create the best enclosure for him or her so any help please throw my way thanks.

-Sean

Attachments

• IMAG0532.jpg
    IMAG0532.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0533.jpg
    IMAG0533.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0534.jpg
    IMAG0534.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, Nevada
Doesn't seem like a rescue to me if you paid $. They should have paid you as you were doing them and the Tort a big favor. Good luck; looks like a dandy but I will leave the identity up to the smarties.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was against the law for them to sell this tortoise for money...thusly it was against the law for you to pay money for it. This is a protected desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii).

You are correct in assuming he was 'unwanted' as is obvious from the condition he is in. It takes very poor care for a desert tortoise to grow bumpy (pyramided). Thank goodness he is now in better hands.

You can contact any chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club to get a permit form to fill out so you can get a permit to keep the tortoise. It is easy and no inspection or contact with the Department of Game and Fish will happen. Or you can write to the DGF for them to send you the permit application. I also have them, and my spidey sense tells me you may be near where I live.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ.you really got to be careful when they cannt tell you the breed . Then how do they know how to care for the tort . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad you got the fellow, he looks like he really needed somebody like you to come into his life.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do live in at a winery? Noticing all those lovely vines behind you. Atleast I hope that's what I am seeing.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum, love to have your "backyard".

kingsean

It was against the law for them to sell this tortoise for money...thusly it was against the law for you to pay money for it. This is a protected desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii).

You are correct in assuming he was 'unwanted' as is obvious from the condition he is in. It takes very poor care for a desert tortoise to grow bumpy (pyramided). Thank goodness he is now in better hands.

You can contact any chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club to get a permit form to fill out so you can get a permit to keep the tortoise. It is easy and no inspection or contact with the Department of Game and Fish will happen. Or you can write to the DGF for them to send you the permit application. I also have them, and my spidey sense tells me you may be near where I live.

Dang you have extremely good spidey sense!
Thanks for the info

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope. Sulcatas have much bigger spurs on the front legs. You only think that because the tortoise is pyramided.