Hello and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugsandlettuce

5 Year Member
[/align]Hi all. I am from pittsburgh, Pa. And I am a new owner of an old soul. I am recently accquired a tort from an in-law whos child moved away for college, and the tort was left behind. I would like to find a positive ID for him/her so i can get started on building him/her the perfect new home. The tort was left in a fish tank for its known life. (its ATLEAST 24 years old) and somewhere around 9 inches long and 6 inches wide. From the reasearch so far, and some common knowledge, its not in the greatest health. It did have an outside cage that it rarely got put out on nice days, and never ate anything but lettuce, some random fruits, and luckily fish bait (the man "grew" his own). No lamps, no sunlight otherwise. Well, they made it this far, so for now he/she (michelangelo, aka mikey) is in a warm sunny window, with a shoe box to hide on the other side, and a shallow pool of water to cool off (my house is around 78ish during the day). Mikey seems to be warming up to me, no more hissing, and knows when its food time. So, if you could please point me in the right direction, i will forever be grateful. I need the most help on how to introduce a healthier diet and supplements without shocking mikey's metabolism, and also how hard is and/or techniques to file his claws a little. And of course what mikey is.
Here's the best shots I could get after his bath from playing outside today!

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have a box turtle there, I am not that experienced with them so I can't tell you what kind it is...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi slugsandlettuce:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm pretty sure what you have there is an old male gulf coast box turtle (Terrapene carolina major). And he's pretty under weight.

They eat fruits and veggies and bugs and worms.

If you were to pile up a nice tray full of chopped cucumber, zucchini, peaches, melon and sprinkle a few worms or crickets on top, I think he would really chow down.

May we know your name?

Slugsandlettuce

5 Year Member
Name, Chad. I'm a veggie, so i always have tons of stuff i could give him, it's only been a few days and it seems like he has quite the appitite. I have been going of the 50-40-10% food ratio and so far he loves bitter greens, clovers, and cilantro out of anything else. He's eaten tons of worms in the garden, and he ate a big mantis last night. I am more concerned about introducing suppliments to his diet. As far as being underweight...i wouldn't know how to tell, but he is really stretched out in the photos, but he's hiding his head about half way. (if that changes judgement) Keep an eye out for my table pictures soon to come... going brainstorming at homedepot today. Oh yea...UVB and body temperature helps metabolise right? I assume he would have eaten less without the lights and lamp?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
You are right that the temp halps him digest and the uv light helps him absorb nutrients and enhances mood and normal activity :) Can't wait to see pics of your enclosure :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Overall doesn't look too bad. Underweight of course, but still. Lucky you and lucky him!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Slugsandlettuce said:
As far as being underweight...i wouldn't know how to tell, but he is really stretched out in the photos, but he's hiding his head about half way. (if that changes judgement)

The fact that he IS all stretched out helps me to see that there is no meat underneath his skin. You usually see more substance between the head and the front legs. Like if you were going to give an injection, you would be able to see some muscle...but all you see on your turtle is skin with nothing under it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
that is a nice looking box turtle.

Slugsandlettuce

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Slugsandlettuce said:
As far as being underweight...i wouldn't know how to tell, but he is really stretched out in the photos, but he's hiding his head about half way. (if that changes judgement)

The fact that he IS all stretched out helps me to see that there is no meat underneath his skin. You usually see more substance between the head and the front legs. Like if you were going to give an injection, you would be able to see some muscle...but all you see on your turtle is skin with nothing under it.

Thanks, emysemys.
I am sure i would have noticed the changes. But niw i know for sure. I am turtle illiterate, but I am learning. Any guesses on how long it would take for him to healthily put weight on? Sorry if I should have started moving to other threads by now. If thats the case, point me to the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.