Hello everyone!

Jess_star

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey!

I'm Jess and so pleased I've found this forum! I have wanted a tortoise for a long, long time but for various reasons it hasn't happened. Recently I moved out and am now in a position to finally get one! I've attached a picture of my baby Indian Star, Michelangelo (Mikey), that I will be picking up and giving a forever home on the 30th of this month! I'll be posting in the Star Tortoise section soon with some questions I have but wanted to say hello to everyone before I stared using the forum properly [emoji4][emoji217]

IMG_0814.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Cute baby. So you can get him started right, be sure to get some humidity into his enclosure. By the looks of the substrate he is on and the lines between his scutes, he looks to be raised dry. If you can, get the breeder to check out the forum and add the humidity to the enclosure. If it's a pet store, see if you can get them to change things up and add humidity along with a better substrate.

Jess_star

UK
Hello and Welcome. Cute baby. So you can get him started right, be sure to get some humidity into his enclosure. By the looks of the substrate he is on and the lines between his scutes, he looks to be raised dry. If you can, get the breeder to check out the forum and add the humidity to the enclosure. If it's a pet store, see if you can get them to change things up and add humidity along with a better substrate.
Thank you Wellington [emoji4] I've been to the shop today that I'm buying him from to check dates for pick up and I mentioned about it, whether they'll change anything I don't know, but I took a picture of his current set up, which I've added below.

Any help or tips with set up are greatly appreciated (though I have put up a post into the star tortoise category on the forum). I know he'll need humidity (I've read to use the 80/80 rule), orchid bark, and moss inside his hideout. Want to make sure he has the best start possible. Also loikinb into what fresh stuff to feed him and will be alternating so he gets variety and plenty of nutrition20171219_102735.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Don't use the same substrate the pet store is using. Look for either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir.

Jess_star

UK
Hi, and welcome! Don't use the same substrate the pet store is using. Look for either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir.
Definitely will do! I read the bark was better for humidity too

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they have him set up all wrong. Both substrate they are using is terrible. Whatever you can do to get them to better things until you can get him home.
Sounds like once you get him home, you have done your home work to give him a great life.

Jess_star

UK
Yes, they have him set up all wrong. Both substrate they are using is terrible. Whatever you can do to get them to better things until you can get him home.
Sounds like once you get him home, you have done your home work to give him a great life.
I thought when I saw it but have been reading up on it as much as I can to make sure. Will he be alright moving from that environment straight into a completely different and humid environment? I just want to make sure I'm doing what I can to keep him healthy and happy!

Dropped a link to the other post I've got about him in case anyone wants a look:

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/162787/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You' ve received lots of good advice. Id say, the quicker u get your new tort home the better. Get it set up in a proper enclosed habitat, soakings, proper heating, lighting, substrate...etc.

Is your enclosure all set up, ready? Post some pix. Best of luck with your new tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought when I saw it but have been reading up on it as much as I can to make sure. Will he be alright moving from that environment straight into a completely different and humid environment? I just want to make sure I'm doing what I can to keep him healthy and happy!

Dropped a link to the other post I've got about him in case anyone wants a look:

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/162787/
Yes, it will be best for him to get him in a proper enclosure as soon as possible. No delay or easing into it needed.

Jess_star

UK
You' ve received lots of good advice. Id say, the quicker u get your new tort home the better. Get it set up in a proper enclosed habitat, soakings, proper heating, lighting, substrate...etc.

Is your enclosure all set up, ready? Post some pix. Best of luck with your new tort.
Thank you Maro2Bear! Unfortunately I'm picking all the set up when I pick him up. I'm unable to get everything else before then or I would have had it done and set up for him coming home.

That's why I'm trying to work out everything and how it should go now, also trying to work out the best daily routine for him and how often I should be doing things for him. So I have put him straight into that when he's here and he'll adjust quicker if I keep to the same thing.

Jess_star

UK
Just a quick update! Due to a few things I'm now no longer purchasing this tortoise. I'm utterly heartbroken but I think it's the best decision at the moment. (More details about it in the post I've linked above)