hello all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dj. Quik

5 Year Member
hi, my name is Cameron, a few of you may know me through other forums.
i am not new to the world, i have just about every kind of 'pet' there is, but not yet a tortoise. what has drawn me to tortoises recently is the ability to keep them outside. my favorite part about keeping reptiles is setting their enclosures up as essentially living habitats with lots of plants and deep soil. i have yet to do this for an outside enclosure though. the reason i joined this forum is because i love seeing what other people do with their set-ups, and being fairly new to the tortoise world i need some guidance as to which tortoise will work best in our environment. i live in California, where the weather is not too extreme but in the summer can get around 105 and in the winter it drops down to the 30's at night. im aware that no tortoises may be able to tolerate the cold but i'm not sure. my initial thoughts were Red-foot Tortoises, i read that they can tolerate heat in the mid 90's and they don't get too large. i'm not looking for a small tortoise but i don't want a giant one either.

but any input is greatly appreciated, thank you :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). There are many different species living in Cali. The leopard, sulcata and even the Red Foots need high humidity when young and some is good even when adults. Read Toms threads below in my post for raising leopards and sulcatas, same care and see what you think. It's almost the same for Red foots, with more care being given to a dry top layer while still holding a high humidity. red foots are more prone to shell rot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the Forum!

(Other Forums? You mean there are other forums out there? Who'd a thunk?)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Cameron welcome to the " only"
TFO :)
As far as torts I have Leopards,Greeks ,
Russians , Herrmans , and Marginals.
I have more but these are outside . And I live in AZ , Phx temps are 30 to 115
Degrees . What type are you thinking about

Dj. Quik

5 Year Member
yes other forums lol.
Redfoots caught my attention initially, i dont think i would have a problem with the higher humidity.
i think sulcata's are a little too big for me.
grandpa turtle, ill have to check out some of the species you have :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
One thought from a biased source here: go 'native' and adopt a CDT. They are charming, would thrive in the climate you describe and don't get as big as sulcatas. There are many that need homes and if what you enjoy is building enclosures, you'll have the added creative challenge of constructing a home for a threatened species.

Of course I'm speciesist -- I love my DTs. :D

Dj. Quik

5 Year Member
Haha the more I look at different species the more I find myself reverting to research about redfoots and cherry heads.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the only forum you'll need for raising and learning about tortoises and all sorts of other animals:p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome and enjoy. As stated by others, you have come upon a great resource for finding first hand information from other keepers on the different tortoises they keep. Keep in mind the dedication needed to keep tortoises and the life long choice you are making.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
I would like to second what sibi said, everything you ever need to know about the care of our many animal friends you will find here. I'm sure my Russian Tort Walter would be a goner for sure (or very unwell) had it not been the vast experience and good advice found here.

Dj. Quik

5 Year Member
thank you everybody :) this forum does seem extremely active and informative.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
thatrebecca said:
One thought from a biased source here: go 'native' and adopt a CDT. They are charming, would thrive in the climate you describe and don't get as big as sulcatas. There are many that need homes and if what you enjoy is building enclosures, you'll have the added creative challenge of constructing a home for a threatened species.

Of course I'm speciesist -- I love my DTs. :D

You summed up my first thoughts so well, I am going to repost what you said!:D

Dj. Quik

5 Year Member
Do you guys think it would be better to start out with a hatchling or start with a rescue that is already a few years old? Or does it not really matter. Is there any way to find a rescue center near me?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not sure. That said, if possible, I would start with a rescue simply from the moral side of things.

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
8 Russians
2 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.