Hello All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
I am new to the tortoise community. I have always had turtles. I've hard baby Koopa for about 3 days and he is a couple months old. I was wondering how long it would take for him to become us to me. he hides all the time. He won't eat if I am watching. He just wants to burrow and stay away. Is this normal??
Thank You All

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
yes it is normal for them to hide at the beginning. It will take time but once they realize you provide food they will warm up to you
Welcome I hope you enjoy your visits here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome :D ditto, normal. I handled mine every day when I got him. Didn't take him long to get used to me. Some do take longer than others and then some don't ever really want to be bothered. Good luck

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Thank You very much @dmmj!!!!!!! I am so use to the friendliness od red ear sliders that my baby sulcata kind of had me worried. Thank you very much, I feel much better now.

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Thank You both very much. I feel like I have a baby in ICU lol. Can't wait for him to love me!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No need to worry most sulcats quickly warm up, and they are very personable just ask any sulcata owner on here, they will tell you.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to tfo!
Your tort is just a little nervous about his new surroundings, he will soon get warmed up to you and start bugging for more food :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi naturalk84:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx where in the world you are?

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Thank you all. You can call me kay. I live in the south and it is very hot. Last night koopa spent the night under the lamp instead of in hiding. I guess that is a sign. I've been reading a lot. What are good tortoise treats that won't harm it? Determining sex seems be be hard this early, or is it?

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Looks like I spoke too soon. Koopa ate out of my hand today. I'm going to start putting food in the middle of my palm to make him climb my hand while calling his name. He had a very good day today :)

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Yes. I have a purple night heat light. I thought i was supposed to? I worry about him getting cold with the air conditioner on auto. He also has two little dark houses, one in the cooler side and one under the lamp. Is the night light wrong.

And thank you all for the welcomes. I put food in my palm and he climbed on. Yay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.