Hello All !

ChillisMommy

hey everyone my name is Gaby and I have an African leopard tortoise who is about 2 years old. I have had him for about a year now. Live in Miami, Florida and the tank is indoors and take him outdoors everyday for a little while to get some exercise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Gaby and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and share. Good to have you here and we love to see some picture of your Leo and his enclosure, Indoor and outdoor.

Welcome.

ChillisMommy

as soon as I have a chance I will definitely upload pictures. I have only an indoor tank with lights but no outdoor tank. should I get him one?

I actually signed up because he is really sick and need some advice. I have been soaking him in calcium baths every day. I had two but one passed away a few weeks ago and chilli has not been the same. I've tried extra tlc but nothing works he hasn't eaten in a week. drinks water and I give him calcium baths everyday but I'm getting worried. when I put him back in his tank he seems to just sit there. when I take him outside he's alert and walks and walks. but still doesn't eat. has this ever happened to anyone? how do I get my little guy to eat?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Since I'm close by,I can help in the future. I have an igloo dog house that's free and some lighting etc..........Do you have UV lighting? Take him outside and let him soak up some sunlight.
It's nice outside right now.
Also, they do much better alone. He wont be happier housed with another.
Hopefully someone better on a computer will send you a care sheet link.
Disregard any other care sheets that you may have.
These folks are the REAL DEAL.;)
Get us photos of you current setup. Temps, humidity and all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. This is often a function of temperatures being too low. How are you heating and lighten him and what are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Gaby welcome to the TFO from AZ. It's like that old saying a pict is worth a 1000 words . How often do you give your tort a warm bath ? And if you put some baby food in it ( carrot ) it will get a little food . But it usually starts with temps being to cold . But have a great tort day ! Cause Leopards Rules !

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for help. Leopards are particular about their heat and humidity to be healthy. Provide all the info you can about your husbandry and we can help you tweak it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Hope we can get this little one up and going again once we get more information from you. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello and welcome. This is often a function of temperatures being too low. How are you heating and lighten him and what are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

...and the light, don't forget the light - if you're using one of those spiral-shaped bulbs, turn it off immediately. They are painful on baby tortoises' eyes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gaby, and welcome to the forum!

I hope we've caught you in time to get your baby well. Read the care sheet that's pinned at the top of the Leopard section here on the Forum, then make the necessary adjustments to your habitat and care.

In the mean time, soak your baby daily in a mixture of half and half Gerber strained carrots and warm water. Leave him in there for at least a half hour. You can position a light over the edge of the soaking bowl so he doesn't get cold.

The reason your baby is active when you put him outside is because he's scared and he's running around trying to find a safe place where a predator can't get him.

Set your habitat up like the care sheet tells you to, and make sure the baby is warm (measure at substrate level, not up the side), and you should start to see an improvement.