Hello All and Manouri Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hi to everyone and thanks for maintaining this interesting community and environment. My name is Ron and I've just joined the Forum. I now live in S. Florida but originally came from the NJ area. It's been over ten years since I was involved seriously in herptoculture and maintained FG&W permits for scientific holding, breeding and exhibiting reptiles. When I had to give up my collection of about 25 different species because of work demands I donated them to our local herp society.
Now I'm semi-retired and while I don't plan to develop a major collection again, I would like to have one or two semi-retired tortoises in my yard. As we have underground utilities I've been shying away from those that are natural tunnelers and am considering the Manouri emys emys or emys phayrei (Burmese Brown/Black Mt. Torts). I'm wondering what experience forum members have had with these in a hot semi-tropical climate. Is providing shade and water enough or are 90-95 summer temperatures too much regardless of how much shade and water you provide?
Thanks for reading and regards,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Either emys ot phayrei will thrive well in those environments. Do give alot of shade and water they love it.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
tortadise said:
Welcome! Either emys ot phayrei will thrive well in those environments. Do give alot of shade and water they love it.

Thanks Kelly. That's very helpful. Have you posted about your sanctuary somewhere on this forum? Sounds interesting!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :D. I have no experience to give you on that species. Will leave for those who do. Good luck on your search.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ron:

Glad to have you here with us.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
algoroth1 said:
tortadise said:

Thanks Kelly. That's very helpful. Have you posted about your sanctuary somewhere on this forum? Sounds interesting!

Your welcome! I did a little bit when I was a newbie. Ive been revamping the website with loads of new text and articles. I dont really advertise or get involved with the community too much. Im kinda a hermit. I suppose I should though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Ron,The heat doesn't seem to bother any of the manouria, as long as they have shade and moisture.I am in Virginia and before I had them in Maryland,I have been keeping them since 1996 and over the years we have experienced about every different weather condition possible, and after they get a few years behind them they are almost indestructible and very savvy about how to handle the extremes of weather changes on quick notice, if they have the options needed. Also they can handle the colder temps better than most other tortoises. I think they are a good choice, good luck with whatever you choose.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!
Len, your experience seems to affirm what Kelly said about this climate not being a problem for Manouria. That's great news as I'm really interested in keeping them.
How about aggressiveness? Can you keep them in groups or do you have to separate them? Thanks

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
As my males got older The crankier they got towards each other, every now and then one would get turned over, but most of the time they coexisted fine, I had no females with them, I am raising another un-sexed group of 3 mep and 5 mee that are young and they all get along fine so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.