Hello!!!!! advice needed =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upland California

This account is used by me and my sister (howard & chelsea) we just got a Hatchling Sulcata and its great=) Were From Upland So. Cal and yeah were excited =)

some concerns we had for our tortoise were
-how close or far should our heat lamp be from the floor of the habitat?
-what would be the best type of bedding to use for our hatchling?
-also what should we feed it at this age(6 months)?

If you can help us out that would be great

-Howard and Chels

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

Just so you know - that font is a little difficult to read. It is so bold it makes my eyes swim! ;)

Here is a great caresheet to get you started - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1DCWgLXag

To answer your questions -

1. The bulb should be placed at a distance that creates a basking spot of around 100*. In order to know how far that is, you need to get a thermometer and check the temperature. I got a nice digital thermometer (that measures humidity, too) at Walmart for $8. Don't waste your money on the analog (dial) ones at the pet store - they don't work right and are pretty much just junk.

You want the bulb to hang straight down, and not on an angle. The safest way is to hang your lamp from a hook in the ceiling or get a lamp stand. The clamps are not reliable and will eventually fail, causing serious burns or even fires that can threaten the lives of your family.

2. The bedding you want to use should be something that holds humidity. Coconut coir (the kind that comes in a brick and you soak) is my favorite for babies, or I like to use top soil covered with a layer of sphagnum moss. With the topsoil I can plant plants right into the enclosure and it gives the babies somewhere to hide and helps hold in humidity. You can also use cypress mulch or orchid bark.

3. Start off by offering your baby "Spring mix." It is a mix of baby greens and you can get it at just about any grocery store.

Here is another article that should answer some more questions for you.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1DCWU2EQO

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Its a Fluckers basking light 75 watts =) we'll have pics up by tmmrw we cant find a camera =\

i was wondering how long they sleep its been sleeping for like 10 hrs is that normal??

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He might be too cold. Babies do sleep a lot though.

If the bulb does not say that it provides UV light, then you will need to get a UV light also.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Thank you so much ill look into getting those supplies very soon =).We have a UV light but its up at the top of his tank.Should i lower it closer?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not knowing what size your tank is or what the manufacturers instructions on the light are, I can't answer that question.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Its a ten gallon tank.He seems to favor only using his right front foot and leaving the other one tucked in.Im soaking him right now and i just noticed.Ill post a pic.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Add a larger tank to your list of supplies that you need to get. A ten gallon won't allow for a proper temperature gradient. I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 20 gallon, and a 20 long would be even better. Yes I know your tortoise is tiny now - but a 10 gallon is still just way too small.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Ya were getting him a 25 gallon tank on Monday.(My mom is the only one with access to my bank account -__-").The ten gallon is temporary.

8zpjev.jpg
Hopefully i copied the link right but here's a pic of him.He's so small!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Howard and Chelsea:

Welcome to the forum!!

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
hi howard and chelsea, i have a baby sulcata well actually he is 6 months and he is the best thing ever.. make sure u get him a bigger encloser browse thru this forum under enclosures and u will get a lot of ideas.. since u are a neighbor, u can take him out during the day for at least 20 min under the sun.. make sure he is warm and feed him dandellion weeds sometimes. feed him once a day the same size as him and if he eats it all give him more in the afternoon and READ Tom the dog trainer's thread and follow everything he says and u will have a happy healthy baby.. welcome to the forum and dont be shy to ask questions..

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Thanks for the advice guys!(this is chels).I really appreciate it,since i can finally pull money out now,im going to go buy him more stuff and hopefully he'll feel better.I think me might be getting sick but He ate some food so i think i just have worried mommy syndrome :c

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i wouldnt waste your time of money on a 25 gallon.. there are much better things out there to use.
Your baby already has some pyrimiding going on, so read A LOT and learn how to start preventing that.
He needs as much sun as possible, excercise , humidity and a good diet.
For a tort that size that is going to grow fast.. Id look at doing a bookcase Tortoise table. and plan your outdoor enclosure as well.
Keep him warm, let him adjust to the new home and dont over stress him.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Ok,i'll look around and see what i can get.The people at the pet shop said he was fine (those liars).Thanks for the help.Ill post pics tomorrow when we finish his enclosure.I'd love to get feedback on it.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum! You've been given some fantastic advice so far.

Unfortunately, you can't trust what a pet store employee tells you. You would think they know their stuff, but, really, the majority don't know squat.. Every now and then you get lucky and the employee helping you knows what they're talking about, but it's so rare, especially with torts, that you're best off taking anything you hear in a pet store with a grain of salt, so to speak.

Stick with us, though, and you'll have a happy, healthy tortie! Because unlike your pet store, the folks here actually know what they're talking about! ;)

I don't know much about Sulcatas, but if your babe is still so small, young, and already pyramiding, I wonder if you wouldn't be better skipping the bookcase recommendation (for now!!! It's a GREAT idea once he's a little bigger and more established!) and go with just a big sterilite storage bin for now. A 90 quart Sterilite tub, for example, is almost 3 ft long and 18 inches deep (front to back), so it'll give you a good amount of floorspace, plus it has the benefit of tall sides and a solid top (just cut part out for your heat lamp) so it'll hold in all that heat and humidity you need. And, best of all, it's less than $20!
Here's what the 90 qt looks like: http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/000/641/539/290/641519_2886539_290.jpg

By the way, what kind/brand of UVB bulb do you have? It's important to make sure you have a good one, as some can cause serious eye problems and still others just plain don't put out enough UVB. The fluorescent types have to be within 6-12" to have any real effect.

Koopa-Troopa

5 Year Member
Upland California
Thanks for the advice.I updated his enclosure,its a big storage bin.He has alot more room in it.We got a 50 Watt Desert UVB light.the brand i belive is Zilla.Im actually outside with him (i took his whole enclosure outside) so he can get some natural light.His eyes seem to be fine but then again im no expert.He chirps now and then.Is that a bad sign?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Great to hear you've upgraded him! If I remember right, Zilla UVB bulbs don't put off enough UVB. However, if he's getting natural, unfiltered sunlight every day, he should be alright. :) You should, though, look into upgrading to a MegaRay or PowerSun Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) when the Zilla is due for replacement (in about 6 months). MVBs are the best UVB bulbs around, plus they put off heat so they act as your basking bulb, too.

I don't know anything about the chirping. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.