Hector's Updated Enclosure!

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
Two months ago I built a tortoise table for my very first pet tortoise.

Here is what it looked like complete:
IMG-1134.jpg

After a few months of living with it, we weren't too fond of the top soil that we used for the substrate. Hector loves to burrow and dig, but the dirt compacted over time and made it difficult for him to dig. Also there were really large chunks of mulch. So here is version 2.0!
IMG-2013.jpg
IMG-2015.jpg
We went with coconut fiber because it's much looser which makes it easy for Hector to dig and burrow. We also liked the sterility compared to random top soil from the hardware store. The color is also much nicer.
IMG-2018.jpg
IMG-2014.jpg
We recently built him an outdoor enclosure with plants and discovered that he loves succulents and pansies. So we added them to his indoor enclosure as well! I don't think the plants will do too well in the coconut fiber, but he eats them so fast that I doubt the plants will be around long enough to see them die
IMG-2016.jpg

I've already noticed a couple things that I don't like about the coconut fiber: it gets everywhere! Here it is stuck to his wet face after he was done munching on the succulent:
IMG-2024.PNG
It also gets all over his food. Should I be concerned about these things? Also, since it's looser, his footing kind of slips through while walking. As opposed to the firmer top soil that he had no problem walking on top of. Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with coconut fiber? I know it's a pretty common substrate to use. Anyways, thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Two months ago I built a tortoise table for my very first pet tortoise.

Here is what it looked like complete:
View attachment 306720

After a few months of living with it, we weren't too fond of the top soil that we used for the substrate. Hector loves to burrow and dig, but the dirt compacted over time and made it difficult for him to dig. Also there were really large chunks of mulch. So here is version 2.0!
View attachment 306721
View attachment 306725
We went with coconut fiber because it's much looser which makes it easy for Hector to dig and burrow. We also liked the sterility compared to random top soil from the hardware store. The color is also much nicer.
View attachment 306722
View attachment 306723
We recently built him an outdoor enclosure with plants and discovered that he loves succulents and pansies. So we added them to his indoor enclosure as well! I don't think the plants will do too well in the coconut fiber, but he eats them so fast that I doubt the plants will be around long enough to see them die
View attachment 306724

I've already noticed a couple things that I don't like about the coconut fiber: it gets everywhere! Here it is stuck to his wet face after he was done munching on the succulent:
View attachment 306728
It also gets all over his food. Should I be concerned about these things? Also, since it's looser, his footing kind of slips through while walking. As opposed to the firmer top soil that he had no problem walking on top of. Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with coconut fiber? I know it's a pretty common substrate to use. Anyways, thanks for stopping by!
I’ve never used coco coir so I can’t help you with if it’s safe to eat. What I do know is that if you want it firmer you’ll have to pack it down really hard with your hands.

Happytort27

CA
Your substrate looks a little dry to me. I usually get the compacted coco coir bricks and wet it in a tub or bucket of water before it goes into the enclosure. By @Tom: “Once its damp and broken up, put about 8 inches of the loose stuff into your enclosure and firmly hand pack it down to 3-4 inches or less. It will be messy for a while, but if you keep hand packing it, it will settle in after about two weeks and be great.”

I find that it still is a little messy after a couple of weeks, but I think that’s just how coco coir is. If this is an issue, fine grade orchid bark from your local nursery will work just as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coco coir is safe to use, but its too messy for me, and that is what you are seeing too. It must be kept damp, and that is going to be difficult in an open topped enclosure. Dry coir will dust up your whole house, and also your tortoise. Not good to breathe it.

Fine grade orchid bark works much better for this application, and soil should never be used under a tortoise.