Finally Getting There!

Areno

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to set up my russian tortoise's enclosure, but I think I'm finally on the right track! First of all, I had to change his substrate because he was NOT a fan of top soil. He didn't dig in it, he wasn't as active, and he constantly had dirt stuck to him. I changed it to a mix of loose and soft coconut fiber since I couldn't find coco coir and he loves it!! He is always roaming around, digging, and just seems happier now. I also have his lights situated in good spots finally ( I do use the clamp lights, but I have something holding the cords in case the clamp fails) and I feel like he has a lot of room to explore. He also likes going through his tunnel :D it's so cute to watch him roam around I swear I could sit for hours on end watching him. I do want to add live plants to his enclosure and more things for him to climb on, but for now I think he likes it!

Attachments

• IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 52

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's what I did when my leopard was little. Two totes with a tunnel between the two. I lived it and so did he. The plants would be a good idea and I would also bury the water dish to be level with the substrate. Otherwise it looks great and if he lives it, you did it right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One tip. If he starts to not explore as much, they usually do, once they seem to get used to the enclosure, just change some things up and they usually go back to exploring again.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You have a very good start going there, I love the tunnel too :) put a few rocks in the water bowl so that it's not too deep for him. A few plants and a little bit more furniture and it'll be great.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What did you make the tunnel out of?

Areno

Texas
Thank you everyone for the tips! I'm so happy I joined the forum I feel like I am a much better tortoise owner thanks to it :D I made the tunnel out of cardboard and duct tape.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
:cool:That little guy looks so happy!.
I like the tunnel idea too. I would keep an eye on that cardboard. When you dampen down the substrate it may soften after a while? just a thought

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, great idea! His substare does look a little dry. I good way to tell is pick it up, and if it just falls off your hand, it's not wet enough.
Misting daily is a big help! Live plants can help keep humidity up too. He is really cute :D

Areno

Texas
Yea I am having trouble keeping the humidity up with the mercury vapor lamp, it seems to dry up the substrate very quickly. I've been misting his enclosure multiple times a day, but still no luck. I think I'm just going to buy a humidifier for him, so I can be sure it stays humid enough since he's a baby. Any advice on what humidifier to get?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Mist and humidifiers put moisture in the air. You need to put moisture in the ground, into the substrate, not just on the top layer but all the way to the bottom. Use a watering can & pour it in. You can rake it through or not.