Heating?

redfootlover5m

Location (City and/or State)
England, Bristol
Hi, I'm going to be building a new enclosure for my rf and I don't know what I should use to heat the enclosure? It's going to be big, the dimensions are150cm in length, 50cm in width and 45cm in height. It's going to be made out of wood and will be painted with some sort of water proof sealer and and I will line it some tarpaulin. Right now I'm using a 75wt heat bulb and a 50wt bulb which I turn off at night but this is only to heat a small terrarium. With a big enclosure what should I use to heat it and what wattage size shall I use? I've been considering a ceramic heat emitter, is this ok?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I'm going to be building a new enclosure for my rf and I don't know what I should use to heat the enclosure? It's going to be big, the dimensions are150cm in length, 50cm in width and 45cm in height. It's going to be made out of wood and will be painted with some sort of water proof sealer and and I will line it some tarpaulin. Right now I'm using a 75wt heat bulb and a 50wt bulb which I turn off at night but this is only to heat a small terrarium. With a big enclosure what should I use to heat it and what wattage size shall I use? I've been considering a ceramic heat emitter, is this ok?
Will this have a top on it? that will make controlling heat and humidity much easier.
I'll see if I can find pics of @johnandjade enclosure they made it's lovely!
What are you using for uvb at the moment?
Many of us use mercury vapour bulbs (mvb) which gives heat, light and uvb in one bulb (mine is an Arcadia D3)
I also use a che run through a thermostat for night heat as torts need darkness to sleep. Also use it for additional heat with the bulb when needed Both are in ceramic holders with wide domes (deep domes can cause them to overheat)

redfootlover5m

England, Bristol
Right now I'm using a stripe light and I will be adding something like plexiglass on top. Also for my heat bulb I'm using now it's red and the person at the shop said tortoises can't see the red light, is this true?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Right now I'm using a stripe light and I will be adding something like plexiglass on top. Also for my heat bulb I'm using now it's red and the person at the shop said tortoises can't see the red light, is this true?
No its not true. Torts can see colour and red lights in particular confuse them.
Have you noticed how yours likes red foods and so if the light colours things red then they sometimes try to eat things they shouldn't. If you get a CHE it fits in a bulb holder but there is no light at all - just heat. I bought mine with the thermostat in The Range for about £55. Wide dome bulb holders are about £25 there.
images

These are similar to mine, but mine are Komodo brand

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people do use black bulbs which are cheaper but don't know if they work with a thermostat in a small space. I like knowing the thermostat will stop it getting too hot or cold.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If its a closed system a 150watt CHE on a thermostat will do. Put it at one end, set to 86f, at the other end you should get about 82f. I'd use a uvb strip with that too, offset that to the heated end so it gets a light gradient with the ambient heat gradient. Nothing else will be required.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If its a closed system a 150watt CHE on a thermostat will do. Put it at one end, set to 86f, at the other end you should get about 82f. I'd use a uvb strip with that too, offset that to the heated end so it gets a light gradient with the ambient heat gradient. Nothing else will be required.
Forgot, make sure your bulb holder is made of ceramic, not plastic. CHE's get too hot for plastic holders.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Mine is an 80w Arcadia mini D3 but my tort has his own room so quite a big space, and I want a stronger one when I replace it. 80w maybe Ok for a smaller space, I was advised to position it about 10 - 12inches above the top of the tort shell. It's better to hang the bulbs/che over the enclosure rather than use the clamps which have been know to fail and cause fires, and I have read that when the light/heat is positioned at an angle there is a smaller area of heat available for the tort.