heating / lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I decided to make a thread instead of badgering Tom again :D my situation is that I am mid process of building a Tegu cage for my baby argentine. The dimensions are 6 long 4 wide and 4 high. Basically today i got the caulking done and part of the door made, the front panel is not on, but we are getting there. it wont be long before i am decorating and lighting. But from my tortoise problems in the past I have learned all about closed chambers and the advantages of them, so of course my tegu's cage is basically a giant closed chamber. My question is, how do you heat and light something so big? I really don't want to deal with fluorescent UVB tube fixtures and i much prefer using the powersun mvb bulbs. I am using a 100w mvb right now in his old set up. I do plan on buying another heat lamp so that he has 2 lights in a row so that when he is big he can stretch out to get heat instead of being condensed into one little spot. I am thinking maybe a 100 watt powersun on one end of the hot side and then maybe like a 60-75 watt halogen bulb 3 feet away from the other so he has a basking area the entire width (4 ft) of the hot side. I also have a hanging socket sort of thing like youd use in a garage when working, I am thinking of hanging that on the "cool end" with a little 40-60 watt or so light bulb to provide a tid bit of heat but mainly light on the other side. Thoughts, suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I only made my enclosure 2' tall so I could put the lights on top, but outside the cage. You will need to somehow "fence off" the MVB, so he can't get to it. Might have to make an inside false top of welded wire and have the heat lamps inside that.

I would just use a single MVB and a 48" florescent tube to light the whole thing up. Doesn't need to be a "UV" tube. Make sure your substrate is good and deep for digging.

I don't heat mine at night and if you ever want to breed him/her, you MUST hibernate them every year including their first, according to the late Mr. Bert Langerwerf. Don't be surprised when in Mid-september he just stops eating and starts hiding a lot more, regardless of temps and lighting. I have always hibernated mine every year. It must be done correctly to avoid problems. Happy to share what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.