Heating issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootlove

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Jamie, Iiii'm new. I'm having a heating problem with my red foot's (duh) enclsure. I can't seem to get it warm enough...

Little background info. I live where it can hit the 20's in winter. I live in an old house with a woodstove. Not really ideal for keeping a south american tortoise, eh? Her name is Scooter. She's in a 90 gallon aquarium with a heat lamp (150 watts), a UVB lamp, and a heating pad underneath. The heating pad underneath I purchased when she was still in a 40 gallon tank. At the time I didn't think I was going to be getting a bigger cage anytime soon, (it was a surprise puchase...) so I got the 40 gallon tank size one. Her hot spot is hitting about 85, but it's the surrounding areas that I'm worried about. Obviously if she were getting too cold, she'd just move to the hot spot. But she constantly stays in her cool spot. (I don't know a precise temperature, but I'm pretty sure it's around 75. Not really great...) Again, I know if she really needs to warm up, she'll move to the hot spot. But I would like to try to get the temperature up anyway... I don't have enough money to go out and buy a bigger heating pad at the moment, so I was wondering if any of you who have had tortoises longer then me might have some tips on keeping cages warmer inexpensively? This is my second winter with her.

Oh! I don't know if this helps at all, but she's on Coco Husk substrate. It's a humidity substrate my vet told me to put her on to keep her humidity up.

Status
Not open for further replies.