Heating for my baby russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
I was wondering if I need to do something different with my lighting now that its winter. I live in a basement apartment and it is pretty cold down there I am using a reptisun powersun 160 MVB is his basking area 95 degrees and also a CHE 100 watt washing over the whole enclosure (cement mixing base). He is not eating and when he does it is a small amount every time I sit him somewhere he falls asleep. It is getting in the 60's at night suggestions?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
60's at night is OK.
95F basking is fine.

What are the temps in the 'cool' side of the enclosure during the day? Can he get to a spot that is 70F?
Is it possible that he is too warm during the day?

How long are your lights on? And you have a tube fluorescent light too, if I remember correctly? So most of your enclosure is bright during the day?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
yeah it is about 70 on the cool side but he never goes there. I have a tube UVB 24" plus the powersun 160 watt MVB. The weird thing is he will turn away from his food when I sit him next to it walk a few inches smell the coco coir substrate and then start eating the fibers?? I use the coco coir that comes in the expandable bricks. I think he needs a change in substrate. The make coco coir that is all smooth and granulated with no fibers in it. What do you think? I am also moving him to a new enclosure 24X27X6.5" he is only 2 inches long and I have him in a 24X37X8" cement mixing plastic tub right now but he never goes in 1/3 of it so I am making it a little smaller so it will be easier to control the temps. He has never eaten a lot at all and if you remember he went through that stage of not eating for over a week. Do you think I need to change substrate I am so afraid of an impaction with those long fibers. All he does is sleep or hide either by burrowing or burrowing under his half log. I will be changing him over to the new mixing tub should I use another substrate?

I was thinking. What about 50% coco coir (the fine stuff in the bag not the bricks with huge fibers) and 50% Fir bark or that "Repti Bark"

What do you think?

Oh my lights are on from 7 am to 9 pm

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like your temps are good.

Yes, switch out to the brick coir. It is very fine. Messy, but holds moisture very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.