Heating for an outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
I have two Sulcatas that are a couple years old but not all that big in size yet and I have plans to keep them outside this year for Spring and summer especially but am running into the obstacle of how to keep them warm. I am taking the advice of making sure it is humid so I want to use a mister that is connected to my water fountain on a portion of their enclosure or maybe even all of it just for shorter periods. What kind of heating items do you prefer for the outside not just for the inside of their houses.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
What are your temps like in the Spring and Summer? I am in Arizona and personally don't use any kind of heating items outside, except in their houses. The sun is the natural heat during the day for them. I personally am a "heat from the top" in my enclosure, especially for ones that size, but it really doesn't get cold enough here to use pig/kane blankets either. I soak and spray my tortoises down outside daily. I keep all of my Sulcatas outside 24/7, even at the age yours are out and I find they thrive much better and have very smooth shells.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
TortieLuver said:
What are your temps like in the Spring and Summer? I am in Arizona and personally don't use any kind of heating items outside, except in their houses. The sun is the natural heat during the day for them. I personally am a "heat from the top" in my enclosure, especially for ones that size, but it really doesn't get cold enough here to use pig/kane blankets either. I soak and spray my tortoises down outside daily. I keep all of my Sulcatas outside 24/7, even at the age yours are out and I find they thrive much better and have very smooth shells.

Right now the temps have been mid 80s as the highs and lows 50s but in the summer it will be 100 or so highs and 70 as the lowest during the summer. Would the blankets be an issue if it's a damp enclosure?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I live up the hill from you... i use the Stanfield heat mats. They are plastic, made for pigs so moisture is not an issue. but better for use in larger animals.
I would make sure thier house is small and use a CHE.
Make sure they are protected from raccoons.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Laura said:
I live up the hill from you... i use the Stanfield heat mats. They are plastic, made for pigs so moisture is not an issue. but better for use in larger animals.
I would make sure thier house is small and use a CHE.
Make sure they are protected from raccoons.

CHE? They wont be out their overnight. I work the AM schedule so they will be out there when I get home around 6 AM till I wake up around 5 or 7 PM They are about the size of my hand and I plan for the enclosure to be 25 sq FT do you think that is too big for them? If you happen to have pictures of what you use it would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Russell:

I'm about 2 hrs south of you off Hwy 99, so I think our weather is probably pretty much the same. I don't think you need to provide any heat for daytime hours. The sun will provide all the warmth they need. Put their house in a sheltered area, where the early morning sun will shine on it, but afternoon shade, and it will be ok.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Russell:

I'm about 2 hrs south of you off Hwy 99, so I think our weather is probably pretty much the same. I don't think you need to provide any heat for daytime hours. The sun will provide all the warmth they need. Put their house in a sheltered area, where the early morning sun will shine on it, but afternoon shade, and it will be ok.

So what should the minimum High of the day be for me to leave them outside (Daytime hours) without a heating device? I was thinking 85

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two very small desert tortoises (about 3 yrs old) that are outside all day and night now with no artificial heat. If I'm understanding your question, you're worried it might get too hot for your tortoise? Place the house in the shade, with no floor (dirt floor) and they'll be ok in the heat. My night time temps this week are going to be in the 60's and the days are going to be in the 80's.

If its about 65 or higher in the a.m. when you get ready to put them outside, they'll be ok. The ambient temp might show 65, but sitting in the sun is quite a bit hotter than that.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have two very small desert tortoises (about 3 yrs old) that are outside all day and night now with no artificial heat. If I'm understanding your question, you're worried it might get too hot for your tortoise? Place the house in the shade, with no floor (dirt floor) and they'll be ok in the heat. My night time temps this week are going to be in the 60's and the days are going to be in the 80's.

If its about 65 or higher in the a.m. when you get ready to put them outside, they'll be ok. The ambient temp might show 65, but sitting in the sun is quite a bit hotter than that.

Quite opposite I am worried it would be too cold for them since I want to make it wet to increase the humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.