Outdoor Enclosure heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I asked this under products, but let me re-phrase the question because I would like some input on this type of product:

I am concerned a bit with the openess/exposure of the heating fixtures used for CHEs or Black bulbs in an outdoor shelter.

What type of heating fixture does everybody use for an outdoor enclosure like an igloo or doghouse or rubbermaid shed? I came across a galvanized steel encased heating fixture that accepts CHEs or "fusion bulbs" - it is interesting to me from a safety point of view, but don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work in the main point of heating properly throughout the winter. Thoughts/experience with this type - anyone? Thanks:)

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi,MS
I've heard of people using something called "pig blankets" but i have no clue as to what these are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my personal opinion: I have many, many tortoises, and most of them do not come from an area of cold winters, so I have to keep them warm during the cold weather. I have a pig blanket in every tortoise house, sometimes even 4 in a house. I also have two clamp light fixtures in each house...one with a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb that I turn on during the day (winter only) and the other with a black bulb 60watt that I turn on at night. Even on the coldest nights, the pig blankets and black lights keep the houses above 60 degrees and sometimes even warmer. I used to use the ceramic heat emitters and my electric bill was enormous. I switched the CHE's out for the black lights and my winter time bill dropped drastically. But in order for this to work, your winter house has to be draft free.

Yvonne

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
What is a pig blanket exactly? I've asked at the local co-op and feed stores and they are as clueless as I am about this device. Is it a regional name or term? I've tried a few times to find out what this is but can not find any information on them. I seem to only find references to their use, but not what they are or where to get them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bacaraj said:
What is a pig blanket exactly? I've asked at the local co-op and feed stores and they are as clueless as I am about this device. Is it a regional name or term? I've tried a few times to find out what this is but can not find any information on them. I seem to only find references to their use, but not what they are or where to get them.

Its actually called a farrowing pad or Stansfield heating pad. They come in different sizes, and are mfg'd to keep baby pigs warm. They are made out of either fiberglass or plastic, and have heating elements embedded inside them. You also use a "controller" or rheostat to dial in the temp you want them to hold. Then the element goes on and heats up to your temp. then turns off until it needs to go on again. They are water proof and pretty much indestructible. I have one in dudley's house. He's a 100lb+ sulcata and I hear him digging and digging every night in his house. His pad is still in good shape. I buy mine from Osborne Industries.... www.osborne-ind.com/ There is another brand that people use, I think its called Kane but I know nothing about his brand.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Here's my personal opinion: I have many, many tortoises, and most of them do not come from an area of cold winters, so I have to keep them warm during the cold weather. I have a pig blanket in every tortoise house, sometimes even 4 in a house. I also have two clamp light fixtures in each house...one with a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb that I turn on during the day (winter only) and the other with a black bulb 60watt that I turn on at night. Even on the coldest nights, the pig blankets and black lights keep the houses above 60 degrees and sometimes even warmer. I used to use the ceramic heat emitters and my electric bill was enormous. I switched the CHE's out for the black lights and my winter time bill dropped drastically. But in order for this to work, your winter house has to be draft free.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne - I have been using the same fixtures and bulbs but not the pig blanket. The fixture I'm looking at attaches to the upper corner of a doghouse type shelter. Since I use a Rubbermaid shed I thought it might heat well enough without taking up most of the floor space with a pig blanket. So there is enough room to get off of it when too warm. Where do you find pig blankets and do they come in different sizes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandy: If your existing light fixtures provide the warm temp you require, then there probably isn't a need for the pig blanket. Quite a few tortoise keepers don't believe in "bottom" heat. However, I'm very careful to monitor the temperature of the pad and there is plenty of space in the house for the tortoise to get off the pad if necessary. Also, I would never use a pig blanket or heating pad for a very small tortoise. I have a point-and-click temp gauge that shines back the temp when I point it at the pad. The pads come in many sizes from small to large. Right now I have Dudley and my Aldabrans on 1 1/2 foot x 2 foot pads. The pads are flat and I have attached a 2x4 on each side to raise them up off the floor so they will dry underneath. The tortoises hang off a little, but they don't seem to mind. If you decide to buy one be sure to buy the F911 controller. They sell a cheaper one, but its garbage.

www.osborne-ind.com/

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
emysemys said:
Hi Sandy: If your existing light fixtures provide the warm temp you require, then there probably isn't a need for the pig blanket. Quite a few tortoise keepers don't believe in "bottom" heat. However, I'm very careful to monitor the temperature of the pad and there is plenty of space in the house for the tortoise to get off the pad if necessary. Also, I would never use a pig blanket or heating pad for a very small tortoise. I have a point-and-click temp gauge that shines back the temp when I point it at the pad. The pads come in many sizes from small to large. Right now I have Dudley and my Aldabrans on 1 1/2 foot x 2 foot pads. The pads are flat and I have attached a 2x4 on each side to raise them up off the floor so they will dry underneath. The tortoises hang off a little, but they don't seem to mind. If you decide to buy one be sure to buy the F911 controller. They sell a cheaper one, but its garbage.

www.osborne-ind.com/

Yvonne
One trick I was shown by my MEP breeder is suspending the pig blanket upside down over torts. That way the heat radiates down.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for your information and tips. I currently use a light fixture and CHE inside a rubbermaid shed which is inside a roomy greenhouse for Tank. Since I will be keeping Bump quarantined throughout the winter, I am trying to decide which way to go for his outdoor shelter during winter days (I'll be bringing him at night because he's still, I think, too young (4 years old) and too small (5.5") to be out 24/7. Thanks Bacaraj for the tip about hanging the pig blanket over Bump. And thanks Yvonne for reminding me about the black bulb for both enclosures shelters. I think I'll try the black bulb with the same set up for Bump that I have for Tank.

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
Thanks go to Itort I was just clueless looking for info since I might move a bit north.

Status
Not open for further replies.