Heathy diet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How many do you think I should get him a day he’s a small Russian so
Start by introducing it with one tiny broken piece. Once the tortoise accepts it and starts to like it, you can gradually work your ay up to two or three pellets mixed in with the day's greens.

Mosin

Us
Start by introducing it with one tiny broken piece. Once the tortoise accepts it and starts to like it, you can gradually work your ay up to two or three pellets mixed in with the day's greens.
Ok thx he seems to like them so I will add 2 today

Reactions: Tom

Mosin

Us
I’m having trouble properly soaking them when I soak them they kind of just deteriorate should I just add less water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m having trouble properly soaking them when I soak them they kind of just deteriorate should I just add less water?
That's what you want. You want it to be mushy. Not soupy, but you want to be able to smear the particles all over the greens.

Mosin

Us
That's what you want. You want it to be mushy. Not soupy, but you want to be able to smear the particles all over the greens.
Mine deteriorate before there mushy they just fall off and the middle is hard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine deteriorate before there mushy they just fall off and the middle is hard
It takes longer for the whole pellet to get soaked through sometimes. You can speed up the process by cutting the hard centers up with a knife. You want it to deteriorate and break down into tiny little pieces. That is what you mix with the greens.

Mosin

Us
It takes longer for the whole pellet to get soaked through sometimes. You can speed up the process by cutting the hard centers up with a knife. You want it to deteriorate and break down into tiny little pieces. That is what you mix with the greens.
Mine have small hard parts that won’t break now ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine have small hard parts that won’t break now ?
That is normal. Mazuri or the horse pellets I use turn to mush in 5 minutes. I soak the ZooMed stuff for and hour or more and still get the hard dry centers. I break those up with a thumbnail or a knife, and then let them soak some more. Eventually it all turns to mush.

Its a pain, but it really is a good supplemental food and worth the effort for people who must use grocery store greens.

Mosin

Us
That is normal. Mazuri or the horse pellets I use turn to mush in 5 minutes. I soak the ZooMed stuff for and hour or more and still get the hard dry centers. I break those up with a thumbnail or a knife, and then let them soak some more. Eventually it all turns to mush.

Its a pain, but it really is a good supplemental food and worth the effort for people who must use grocery store greens.
Jeez an hour can he just eat them if they are a tad hard