Heat stoke!!! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinmesomefranklin

5 Year Member
Have a baby tortoise who is almost 8 months old, today we let him play out side for about 20 min, forgetting it was 98 degrees out :/ little Franklin got way to hot and started foaming at the mouth! We scooped him up and put him in some chilled water, but later I read about how most tortoises who have heat strokes pass away within the next week! I don't want him to die, and I don't know what to do, he seems to be fine and rayon regular and all, but I'm still scared, Is he gonna be all right?!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If he didn't die from the initial heat overexposure, then I seriously doubt he will a week later, it is possible but not very likely, best thing I think you can do for now is keep him hydrated.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I made the same mistake year ago with my Sulcata. (it was more than 20 min though) now he/she is the biggest of all. Lol. I cants tell mine has had any effects at all. Hope this eases ur mind a little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. He'll probably be fine. Make sure you do daily soaks for the next week or so, at least.

Now should we talk about the lack of enough shade and cover in your outdoor enclosure? That was a very close call. In an appropriate enclosure they should be fine outside, even when temps are 100+. What do we need to do to make your enclosure "appropriate"?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too doubt that he would die later. Most animals anyway will die right away or within hours. Always make sure when they are outside, they have lots of shade to get under and out of the sun. The UVB will still get to them in the shade. Definitely keep him hydrated. Couple soaks a day for a couple days and keep eye on him for any changes. However, he most likely will be just fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And just a hint to anyone else this may happen to...room temp water would be fine. I wouldn't use "chilled."

lovinmesomefranklin

5 Year Member
Thanks guys :) I appreciate all the help, he's been soaked twice today so far and he's doing great :) thank you very much.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
emysemys said:
And just a hint to anyone else this may happen to...room temp water would be fine. I wouldn't use "chilled."

That goes for humans with heat stroke too. The shock of ice cold water could cause a heart attack. It's better to cool down more slowly.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As a Red Cross instructor for both human and pet CPR and first aid, the preferred treatment for heat stroke is to cool the victim off with coolish water or (for mammals) ice packs covered with towels to the groin, armpits, and other hot spots. Putting a tortoise in some room temperature (70's) water is great.

Heat stroke does produce complications that can be fatal to humans and other animals if it is not dealt with promptly and effectively- the immediate concern of course is the effect of overheating the brain but this is a very stressful event on the whole body.

Make sure the tortoise does not overheat again in the near future, ensure it is well-hydrated, has access to water and shade, and let it be as alone and undisturbed as possible.

And ditto what Tom said about prevention.

Status
Not open for further replies.