Heat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I am having trouble getting my enclosure to be hot enough in the basking area? I am using a day glo 60 watt and have some nice river type large rocks to try to hold the heat, but the hot area is still only 85, what else can I do. I should mention I have a huge fear of fire, noone is home during the day from 6-3 so a fire is my worst nightmare with all of my animals inside it really freaks me out! My Sulcata is in a plastice rubbermade container so what can I use to warm up the warm side? Thanks for any help!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I know that you have this fear, but how close have you lowered the bulb to the enclosure? Have you experimented with different heights?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You will have to play around with the hight of the lamp, and if your substrate is moist before you leave in the morning then you will be okay. 2 days of the week we have no one home until after 5 pm...

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
FernandoM said:
I know that you have this fear, but how close have you lowered the bulb to the enclosure? Have you experimented with different heights?

I moved it very low, about 8 to 10 inches from the bottom of the enclosure, I will check when I get home if that has helped at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy an MVB (mercury vapor bulb). Right now I'm using a 100 watt Zoo Med Power Sun, over a pretty large tort table (about 4' long). I have it positioned in the center and about 12" above the substrate. It keeps the whole habitat within the correct ranges.

M

Maggie Cummings

You need to get a better/bigger bulb. I use 100 watt mostly Trex and for an extra big area I add a black light bulb and all my animals are warm and toasty.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
maggie3fan said:
You need to get a better/bigger bulb. I use 100 watt mostly Trex and for an extra big area I add a black light bulb and all my animals are warm and toasty.

Ok, thanks for the help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Raise the wattage or lower the bulb. You could also raise the room temp or cover more of the top to hold in heat and humidity. If you live in a sunny area and your torts gets lots of sun on a regular basis, you can just use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. Right now, I'm using a 65watt flood from OSH to heat my 4x8' enclosure. Keeps the basking spot right around 100 at a height od around 18". I have two CHEs on a thermostat maintaing 80 all the time in the rest of the enclosure.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:
Yep. Raise the wattage or lower the bulb. You could also raise the room temp or cover more of the top to hold in heat and humidity. If you live in a sunny area and your torts gets lots of sun on a regular basis, you can just use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. Right now, I'm using a 65watt flood from OSH to heat my 4x8' enclosure. Keeps the basking spot right around 100 at a height od around 18". I have two CHEs on a thermostat maintaing 80 all the time in the rest of the enclosure.

My Sulcata is outside everyday for at least 2 hours, so I am glad to hear that I can get a regular flood light, that is awesome! Thanks for the help :D

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
OK, so I bought the fog light on the way home and it is awesome, I don't think I will have any issues now. Boulder is plenty warm now that I am home he is outside eating on the patio :)

wrmitchell22 said:
OK, so I bought the fog light on the way home and it is awesome, I don't think I will have any issues now. Boulder is plenty warm now that I am home he is outside eating on the patio :)

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
I went and bought a mercury vapor light the other day.I didnt want to have to pay 79.00 for it but after seeing how long the bulb lasts and comparing the life of the first ones i bought,Im saving in the long run.Dont have to keep buying the others.The light quality is much better and has a very good amount if heat at the distance i have it on the tank.i think Mercury Vapor lights are a good way to go.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I just can't spend that right now :( I really only needed a heat source because he is outside alot :) I may eventually get one but in AZ sun is plentiful:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fog light? Did you mean to type flood light?

Just to be clear; there are regular round globes, spot lights with a narrow focused beam, and flood bulbs with a somewhat focused beam. The floods usually work the best as they warm a larger area, but still direct all the heat and light the right direction, yet avoid the intensely heated "spots" that are sometimes found in a spot bulb. The round globes are also safe, but even with a reflector hood, more of your electricity is wasted than with a flood or spot. I'm able to use lower wattage flood bulbs to get the same or more heat than out of a regular globe. So with height adjustments I can get the same basking temps with a 100 watt round globe in a reflector hood, a 65 watt flood, which heats a larger area than a spot, and a 35 watt spot. For me, the flood bulb is the best compromise most of the time.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:

Just to be clear; there are regular round globes, spot lights with a narrow focused beam, and flood bulbs with a somewhat focused beam. The floods usually work the best as they warm a larger area, but still direct all the heat and light the right direction, yet avoid the intensely heated "spots" that are sometimes found in a spot bulb. The round globes are also safe, but even with a reflector hood, more of your electricity is wasted than with a flood or spot. I'm able to use lower wattage flood bulbs to get the same or more heat than out of a regular globe. So with height adjustments I can get the same basking temps with a 100 watt round globe in a reflector hood, a 65 watt flood, which heats a larger area than a spot, and a 35 watt spot. For me, the flood bulb is the best compromise most of the time.

Sorry, yes I meant flood light, I am a dork:p

Tom said:

It is a 75 Watt, it is keeping the hot side at a nice 95 to 100 so perfect, he still has the 60 watt UVA on also but its just to keep him happy, it hasn't helped with the heating. He is very active and loves to eat!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.