tortoise help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise44

5 Year Member
hi I just got my new little baby literally like 30 min ago I just have a question hes in a 20 gallon tank and I know he will outgrow it quick I am prepared for that this is just his home for now but the people at my reptile store said I needed a 75 watt bulb even when I said a 50 should be fine im afraid its going to heat up to much also I am trying to save a little electricity so do anyone knows if heat pads can work or heat rocks because heat lights only give heat and to stimulate day with light if I had a heat pad or heat rock under a florescent light wouldn't the effects be basically the same as he would think the light is day heating up the rock or area it would be on a thermostat to if anyone knows please let me know thanks alot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The difference in electrical usage between a 50 watt and a 75 watt bulb is negligible.

If you cover the top of your 20 gallon aquarium, you can heat it with any bulb, just by raising or lowering the bulb. But, don't forget that your new baby needs UVB and he can't get that from a regular bulb.

Heat pads are not good for babies. They don't seem to be able to know how to get off them if the pad overheats. Also, heat rocks are not good for baby tortoises.

Go to the Sulcata section and read the "important threads" at the top of the section. You will learn how to care for your new baby.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Check out Tom's threads. Make sure you're doing your soaks and humidity is in range(80%). What do you plan on feeding? What kind of substrate are you using? If you put a flat rock under the light it will get warm and will add extra warmth for basking too. :)

tortoise44

5 Year Member
yes I am going to take him out every day for uvb at least 30 mins a day and soak him everyday and mist him and the cage three times a day I have read toms post everyday studying and learning I just want the best for the baby and that's what im going to do right now the heat is at 94-95 degrees I am also going to get a basking rock also I might buy a 50 and see what it reaches to

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Lighting aside, you need to upgrade the enclosure ASAP. A cheap rubber made tote will give twice the space and are only around $15.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) do not use an electric heated rock for any animal. They are a bad product that should be taken off the market. Too many animals have been burnt by them. Only the basking spot should be 95+ the rest of the enclosure should be 80 day and night. A 20 gallon may be too small to get the right temps needed. A large, 50 gallon or more plastic tote from Home Depot, walmart, etc will work better for getting the right temps and the lid will also help with not only heat but to keep the humidity up and they aren't expensive. Toms threads are below in my post, if you need a refresher.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Yes, but a rubbermaid container will not hold in heat and humidity like a tank will. Totally agree that your tank is too small but if it is just temporary I would still with the tank over a rubbermaid containter. Just know that you need something bigger sooner rather than later. If you cannot do a closed chamber get a bigger tank.

theelectraco said:
Lighting aside, you need to upgrade the enclosure ASAP. A cheap rubber made tote will give twice the space and are only around $15.

tortoise44

5 Year Member
ya I agree I mean his basking temp is reaching almost 98 degrees and he is also only like a week old he still has his egg tooth so that's why I put him in a 20 gallon for now and I read toms thread saying how he uses tank now I think tubs are better but I do agree how tanks help heat and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.