Heat lamp issues!

Emmykitty111

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I have had the same 100 watt heat light for Carl for almost 2 months now. Suddenly his basking spot is reaching up to 130 degrees F and he isn't moving out from under it. I've been having to check the temperature constantly and put him in soaks because he doesn't move out from under it unless I turn it off. I don't understand what he's doing or what the lighting is doing. It was getting hotter for a couple of days but then it cooled down and it was even hotter in there on the cold days. I've been leaving it on for no more than an hour every couple of hours. I checked the temp gage and made sure it was accurate. Spot on with the temperature outside. Help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use that particular bulb anymore. It's not dependable. Tortoises don't always realize they're in a too hot area, that's how they get burns on their carapace.

Emmykitty111

USA
Okay I'll buy a new one and see if that helps. That was going to be my first action but I wasn't sure if there might be something else wrong

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to set the height of your bulb so the basking area under is the correct temp. If its 130 under there, raise the bulb and fixture up until the temperature is where you want it. Flood bulbs make this easier. If your bulb is a spot bulb you might have a tougher time. Leave a temeprature probe under there for a couple hours to test it.

Your basking bulb is supposed to simulate the sun. The sun doesn't go on and off all day and neither should your bulb. Use a lower wattage bulb or get the height set correctly on the bulb you have.

Emmykitty111

USA
Well it was at the right temp for over 2 months. It's just suddenly too hot. I think maybe the bulb has something to do with it. Thank you for the advice. I'll see what I can do