Heat in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
I have him in a 4x2 enclosure. There is a square 1x1 in one corner with a small hole in the bottom of one side so he can get out in the rest of the enclosure. The heat lamp is over the 1x1 square. Inside the 1x1 is a half coconut shell for him to hide in. I will take some pics this weekend and get some advise. This whole enclosure is outside with a screened hinged lid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are explaining. I think, in this case, a pic will be worth a thousand words.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
franeich said:
Anyone know a heating option that can get wet.

I wouldnt Mix ANY electricty ( lamps , heat maps, ect ) with so called WET/RAIN/MIST!<~~~common sense* 120v ... Can KILL you! ..220v will throw you across the room and then some!!

*****RE: Heat in the rain
Why not get some outdoor flood lights? They are made to be outside, and will provide a nice amount of heat.
<****These are low votage lights ... thus being able to be used in " damp " areas...So when ya do get ZAPPED... it wont kill ya ! But you still can not wet connections. The best is to use a well sealed device with a ground.... hooked to a GFI circut. Not one on the market ... I know of....
HUmmmmmmmmmm.......... :cool:

JD~

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JD, outdoor floodlights come in an assortment of bulb wattages and they ALL run on normal household 110 voltage. Don't you have flood lights mounted to your house. There is a switch by my back door that turns on the floodlights for my back yard. It runs on 110 just like every other light in the house.

I don't know of one on a GFI either, but they are all made to be used outdoors, exposed to the elements, so having one of these fixtures inside a tortoise house should be fine. These types of fixtures have been safely used outdoors for decades.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
JD, outdoor floodlights come in an assortment of bulb wattages and they ALL run on normal household 110 voltage. Don't you have flood lights mounted to your house. There is a switch by my back door that turns on the floodlights for my back yard. It runs on 110 just like every other light in the house.

I don't know of one on a GFI either, but they are all made to be used outdoors, exposed to the elements, so having one of these fixtures inside a tortoise house should be fine. These types of fixtures have been safely used outdoors for decades.
MALIBU GARDEN LIGHTS `NOT A SECURITY LIGHT !
YEA ... Its 110 to the box ... the LIGHTS ARE LOW VOLTAGE... or maybe back mid west / or where ever your from has more laxed' building codes than CA. I have been a licensed contractor here for 22 years. And have yet to see a **KEYWORD* ---->MALIBU*lights that run on 14-2 wire./ 120v......
Well I have .. but we have a slang for that HERE... ****** ***:D
AND SURE YOU CAN DO IT ... NEVER said you COULDNT ... Just I have seen some very POOR ELEC setups and bad advice.... with MANY ...PICS POSTED ON HERE ..and
EITHER A : .. YOU WILL FRY YOUR TORT-aka. Poor mounting ..CHE gets to hot, Melts the element ( the little chinga you screw it into .. ( do you honestly think people who use clamp on's .. know the difference between the fittings? ..( most are made of plastic .. that evey joe blow would buy...not ceramic .. THESE MELT! and cause shorts in the CHE ... ) and or side of enclosure melts , substrate catches fire
B : .. BURN THE HOUSE DOWN ...... WHEN IT FAILS all of the above ..
C: .. RECEIVE A NEW PERM HAIRDEW.... WHEN YOU ADD WATER OR a NICE SHORT ... ALL of the above!

I know because I have had all these happen at one time or another to me ... since recieving my first tort in 1973
" with age is wisdom , mistakes will be made ...not to change is ignorance"
JD~

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So what I'm getting from your posts is that your shelter is too small to fit anything else besides the tortoise.

I'm sure you can figure out something else besides the little shelter that you now have. Get rid of the 1x1 and make something taller that will include the light or CHE.

franeich

5 Year Member
I think I will have to post pics. Shelter is hug compared to tort. 1x1 is just a small part kind of like a heated box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
Roachman26 said:

MALIBU GARDEN LIGHTS `NOT A SECURITY LIGHT !
YEA ... Its 110 to the box ... the LIGHTS ARE LOW VOLTAGE... or maybe back mid west / or where ever your from has more laxed' building codes than CA. I have been a licensed contractor here for 22 years. And have yet to see a **KEYWORD* ---->MALIBU*lights that run on 14-2 wire./ 120v......
Well I have .. but we have a slang for that HERE... ****** ***:D
AND SURE YOU CAN DO IT ... NEVER said you COULDNT ... Just I have seen some very POOR ELEC setups and bad advice.... with MANY ...PICS POSTED ON HERE ..and
EITHER A : .. YOU WILL FRY YOUR TORT-aka. Poor mounting ..CHE gets to hot, Melts the element ( the little chinga you screw it into .. ( do you honestly think people who use clamp on's .. know the difference between the fittings? ..( most are made of plastic .. that evey joe blow would buy...not ceramic .. THESE MELT! and cause shorts in the CHE ... ) and or side of enclosure melts , substrate catches fire
B : .. BURN THE HOUSE DOWN ...... WHEN IT FAILS all of the above ..
C: .. RECEIVE A NEW PERM HAIRDEW.... WHEN YOU ADD WATER OR a NICE SHORT ... ALL of the above!

I know because I have had all these happen at one time or another to me ... since recieving my first tort in 1973
" with age is wisdom , mistakes will be made ...not to change is ignorance"
JD~

Well you said "floodlight" in the post I was answering. "Malibu" lights are an entirely different discussion.

I think we've all made some of "those" mistakes over the years. I guess I'm just giving people the benefit of the doubt about mounting and using the correct fixtures and bulbs for their applications. If you are a contractor, then you've probably seen some mind-blowing stupidity so I kind of understand your point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.