Babying the babies too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
It rained all night and most of the morning. We caught a break in the rain so I moved the babies outside, you can see how wet the soil is...

db146dd9.jpg

04ec6b4c.jpg

About thirty minutes later, it started raining steadily, I went outside to check on them...
458d8384.jpg

Tootsie had taken cover, Tank was standing on top of his shelter :rolleyes:
I didn't get a pic of him because I was getting soaked.

I brought them back inside, and moved the umbrella over Brains. I texted my husband to say I was bummed because they were only outside for a short time. I have no problems leaving Brains outside, but I worry about the babies because they are so small.

Do you think I'm being overprotective of them?

(I already know your answer, Gary)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would be hesitant if it was a cold rain but wouldn't worry too much if it was warm.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Depends on if they can burrow and stay dry in their burrows. If they have loose soil on a slope, then they will be able to dig down several feet. Alternatively, you can do that for them. With that kind of a shelter, your Russians can stay outside year-round.

However, if their burrows are not deep enough, or not on a slope where rainwater will run harmlessly downhill, then you should bring them inside when it gets cold, wet, or both.

BTW - They need a burrow to remain outdoors when it's too hot, wet, or both as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You know my answer too. :)

I think it really depends on how wet it is. If the whole pen is solid mud ans it's going to stay that way for a while, I'd want my babies inside.

Laurie

5 Year Member
I broke down and brought Brains in as well. I felt so bad he was out in the rain... I just can't help it , it's the way it is!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I am so glad you chimed in Elliott!!
(Says the lady who ran out into the rain TWICE today
to bring in her babies) :D:p:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Look at the fancy plate for eating off of. High class all the way there it looks like. :D My vote of course goes to yes. :p :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wanted to tell you this morning, YES, only because the thread was posted three times.:D I couldn't get on to do so. I see it got fixed.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Lol! I only put it on the plate because it was so wet outside and when you cut that cactus up it's just so darn sticky!! When I put it on something flat, they ALWAYS drag it into the dirt or substrate. That stuff picks up dirt better than a Hoover!

wellington said:
I wanted to tell you this morning, YES, only because the thread was posted three times.:D I couldn't get on to do so. I see it got fixed.

Lol, I got itchy with the post reply button! It was so slow, apparently I hit it three times ;) I had to pm dreamcrusher to fix it...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dreamcrusher? Just wait I have not yet begun to crush dreams.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
This happened to me and Echo today! I put her out, got in the shower and when I stepped out I heard rain and was "noooo!" she's on a balcony but still it can rain in a bit into her outside space, sure enough she was tucked into a hide watching the rain. Poor thing was out such a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.